Houthi terror hub hit

Updated 10 May 2015
0

Houthi terror hub hit

The coalition airstrikes, led by Saudi Arabia, targeted the key areas held by Houthi rebels at Sadaa in Yemen in the past 24 hours, destroying a communication facility, rebel headquarters and places where arms and ammunition were stored.
The air raids, which began on Friday evening, also successfully targeted rebel camps and gatherings, the Coalition Command said.
It urged civilians to stay away from Houthi gatherings and their military sites.
“We have kept two options open — military support to Operation Restoring Hope and, at the same time, a fitting response to those who carried out attacks on the cities of Najran and Jazan,” defense spokesman Brig. Gen. Ahmed Al-Assiri told reporters at the Riyadh airbase on Saturday.
The coalition forces carried out 130 airstrikes targeting 100 sites in Sadaa, Maran, Albiqaa and the borders between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Yemen, he said.
“The air raids focused on the headquarters and command and control of the Houthi leaders. Currently, the aim of the operation now is to prevent the movement of the rebels, protection of Yemeni citizens and facilitation of relief and humanitarian work in the country,” Al-Assiri added.
The Coalition Command stressed that the airstrikes achieved its objective in Sadaa through destroying the headquarters of the Houthi leadership, including that of Abdul-Malik Al-Houthi in Duhayan, Jabal Al-Tyes and the Directorate of Majaz.
The Coalition Command said the air raids also targeted the headquarters of Mohammed Hassan Qabali in Bani Moaz in Sadaa, Ahmed Nasser Almaran in Bani Moaz in Saada, Hamid Alsmad, the official spokesman of the Houthi militia Mohammed Abdulsalam in Sohar Directorate, Houthi political office director Saleh Habra in Saada, Ahmed Saleh Hendi in Mzab, member of the Houthi Cultural Office Saleh Alsmad Abu Fadel, Abdulkarim Alhouthi in Dhyan, director of the Houthi militia office in Altalh Mehdi Al-Mashat and two headquarters of the Houthi militia military leaders (Dgsan and Abu Salem) in Saada, in addition to destruction of the headquarters of the leader of Yousef Al-Fishi.


Syria flare-up kills 35 fighters, including 26 pro-regime forces

Updated 16 June 2019
0

Syria flare-up kills 35 fighters, including 26 pro-regime forces

  • Russian-backed regime forces try to retake villages seized by opposition forces and allied fighters
  • The clashes also left 26 pro-regime forces dead in the north of Hama province

 

BEIRUT: At least 10 civilians and 35 combatants, mostly pro-regime forces, were killed on Saturday in clashes and airstrikes that erupted at dawn in northwestern Syria, a war monitor said.

The flare-up came as Russian-backed regime forces tried to retake two villages seized by opposition forces and allied fighters earlier this month, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

“Since this morning, the Syrian regime and allied fighters have launched five failed attempts to regain control of Jibine and Tal Maleh in northwestern Hama province,” said Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman.

Syrian regime airstrikes killed nine opposition fighters, the war monitor said.

Ensuing clashes in the north of Hama province left 26 pro-regime forces dead, including eight who were killed in a mine explosion, the Observatory said.

In neighboring Idlib, regime airstrikes killed 10 civilians, including three children, the Observatory said.

The strikes hit the towns of Maaret Al-Numan and Al-Bara as well as the village of Al-Ftira, according to the war monitor.

The Idlib region of some 3 million people is supposed to be protected from a massive regime offensive by a buffer zone deal that Russia and Turkey signed in September.

But it was never fully implemented, as opposition refused to withdraw from a planned demilitarized zone.

In January, the Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham alliance led by Syria’s former Al-Qaeda affiliate extended its administrative control over the region, which includes most of Idlib province as well as adjacent slivers of Latakia, Hama and Aleppo provinces.

The Syrian regime and Russia have upped their bombardment of the region since late April, killing nearly 400 civilians, according to the Observatory.

Turkey said on Friday that it did not accept Russia’s “excuse” that it had no ability to stop the Syrian regime’s continued bombardments in the last opposition bastion of Idlib.

“In Syria, who are the regime’s guarantors? Russia and Iran,” Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told state news agency Anadolu in a televised interview.

“Thus we do not accept the excuse that ‘We cannot make the regime listen to us’,” he said.

His comments came as Turkey disagreed with Russia earlier this week after Moscow claimed a new cease-fire had been secured in the province following weeks of regime bombardments — a claim that was denied by Ankara.

Syria’s war has killed more than 370,000 people and displaced millions since it started in 2011 with the repression of anti-regime protests.

Russia launched a military intervention in support of the regime in 2015, helping its forces reclaim large parts of the country from opposition fighters and militants.