KSA upset over UN accusation about hospital bombing

Updated 30 October 2015
0

KSA upset over UN accusation about hospital bombing

NEW YORK: Saudi Arabia complained on Wednesday that UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon had blamed Arab coalition’s airstrikes for hitting a UN-supported hospital in Yemen before the incident had been properly investigated.
Abdallah Al-Mouallimi, the Kingdom’s ambassador to the UN, said the coalition did not carry out Monday's attack on the hospital.
In a statement on Tuesday, Ban “condemned the airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition” that hit the hospital in north Yemen's Saada province, a region controlled by Houthi forces. No one was killed in the attack.
The hospital is run by aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF).
“We regret the statement that was attributed to the Secretary-General,” Al-Mouallimi told a news conference, adding that he would contact Ban. “How was the hospital hit or damaged? We do not know and we will have a full and transparent investigation carried out by the Yemeni authorities.”
He said Saudia Arabia was aware of many other incidents in Yemen where damage had been caused to targets by Houthi artillery fire and blamed on the coalition.
“It would not be surprising if this was a similar situation. However, it would also be premature to reach any such conclusions,” Al-Mouallimi said. “The wise thing to do is to await the results of the investigation.”
He said MSF had given the coalition the correct coordinates of the hospital and it was on a list of forbidden targets. He said the nearest air operations at the time of the attack were at least 40 km north of the hospital.


Houthis targetted civilian facility in Najran with an explosives-laden drone, says Arab Coalition

Updated 21 May 2019
0

Houthis targetted civilian facility in Najran with an explosives-laden drone, says Arab Coalition

  • Houthis also fired two ballistic missiles toward the holy city of Makkah and Jeddah on Monday

RIYADH: Houthi militants had tried to hit a civilian facility in Saudi Arabia's southern border province of Najran with a drone carrying explosives, the Arab Coalition supporting Yemen's legitimate government said on Tuesday.
In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), Colonel Turki Al-Maliki, the spokesman of the Saudi-led military coalition said the target was a vital facility.
"The Houthi-backed terrorist militia of Iran continues to carry out acts of terrorism that pose a real threat to regional and international security by targeting civilian objects and civilian facilities, as well as civilian citizens and residents of all nationalities," Al-Maliki said.

The statement did not mention casualties and gave no further details.

Earlier on Monday, Al-Maliki said Houthis fired two ballistic missiles toward the holy city of Makkah and Jeddah but both were shot down by Saudi air defense forces.

The Iran-backed Houthis have fired dozens of missiles at targets in Saudi Arabia, including the capital Riyadh, since the Arab Coalition intervened in 2015 to restore the government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, which was ousted in a Houthi coup.