Iranian cruelty against Yemen civilians rapped

Updated 21 February 2016
0

Iranian cruelty against Yemen civilians rapped

JEDDAH: Iran is helping the Houthis and supporters of the ousted president commit “heinous crimes” in Yemen.
This is according to Mohammed Abdul Majid Qubati, Yemen’s information minister, who also thanked his counterparts from the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) for discussing the Yemeni situation at their third extraordinary meeting in Riyadh.
“The Houthis and supporters of the deposed (president Ali Abdullah) Saleh are committing heinous crimes daily against the innocent people of Yemen with the support of Iran,” he said in a statement to the Saudi Press Agency.
Qubati said Tehran still controls most of the Yemeni diplomatic missions in Europe, where pro-Iranian Houthi rebels and Saleh followers work.
“Some Yemeni diplomatic missions are operated from the Iranian city of Qum because of the loyalty of the ambassadors to the government of the mullahs.”
He said that Saleh had planted his followers over more than 30 years in Yemeni diplomatic missions in non-Arab countries, after having sold the resources of the country to Iran.
Qubati thanked Saudi Arabia, the GCC and Arab countries for supporting the legitimate government of Yemen, particularly in terms of humanitarian relief in cooperation with the King Salman Center for Relief and Humanitarian Aid, which had provided more than 90 percent of this aid.
In Jazan’s southern Dhahran, meanwhile, Saudi forces killed four militants who had targeted locations including a mosque with missiles, which saw an imam and his son killed.
In Al-Rabua region, Saudi forces continued military operations against terrorists trying to infiltrate the area, local media reported.
In the meantime, coalition forces intensified attacks near Al-Harth on Thursday night, destroying several military vehicles. These targets were determined with unmanned drones.
Near Najran region, Apache helicopters killed snipers and destroyed arms and artillery depots hidden by the rebels in several locations.


Christchurch Muslims praise King Salman’s Hajj offer

Updated 1 min 47 sec ago
0

Christchurch Muslims praise King Salman’s Hajj offer

CHRISTCHURCH: King Salman’s Hajj offer to host families of those affected by March’s Christchurch terror attacks is “something really special,” said the president of the Muslim Association of Canterbury, Shagaf Khan.
The Saudi king has offered to host and cover the expenses of 200 Hajj pilgrims when they journey to Makkah this year.
Khan said people will be both financially and spiritually supported during the journey. “For some of them, it’ll be a great comfort feeling like they’ve fulfilled the obligations of being a Muslim,” he added.
Khan said a trip to Makkah would normally cost around 10,000 New Zealand dollars ($6,769), but King Salman’s offer would cover pilgrims “from the time they leave their house and come back.”
When asked what the offer would mean for Canterbury’s Muslim community, Khan said it is part of the solidarity and support that has been shown to them since the Christchurch terror attacks, which claimed the lives of 51 people.
“Four months on … people still feel supported and they feel they’re still being remembered,” he added.
Sheikh Mohammed Amir, who is working closely with the local community, Saudi Arabia’s Embassy and its Ministry of Islamic Affairs to implement King Salman’s offer, said it will be available for those who had lost family members or been injured in the mosque attacks.
Canterbury’s Muslims are “very appreciative” of the offer, added Amir, who is chairman of the Islamic Scholars Board of New Zealand.
“I’ll say with full confidence that this will be a big relief for the deceased’s families, for the victims, for all those who’ve been injured and affected,” he said.
When asked how the organization of the pilgrimage is going, Amir said “so far, so good,” but added that it has been challenging without official records to track everyone down.
He said it is an honor and a responsibility to help organize the pilgrimage, which he has been helping to plan since the end of Ramadan. “People are very excited about it,” he added.
He said he believed that the king’s offer had been made to help people’s rehabilitation after the terror attacks.
“The community believes he’s going to contribute in building Christchurch and bringing people to a normal life,” Amir added.