Riyadh has ‘no ambitions in Yemen’

Updated 05 April 2016
0

Riyadh has ‘no ambitions in Yemen’

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia has no ambitions in Yemen and is working to find a political solution to the crisis in that country, said Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir here on Monday.
Al-Jubeir made the comments at the ministry’s headquarters during a joint press conference with Murray McCully, foreign minister of New Zealand, at the end of his one-day visit to the Kingdom.
“We have no ambitions in Yemen ... We are encouraging the Yemenis to find a political solution to the crisis and welcome the agreement of Yemeni parties to attend the meeting in Kuwait this month,” Al-Jubeir said in reference to the April 18 meeting.
“We hope their consultations and negotiations will ensure they reach a solution that leads to the implementation of UN Security Council Resolution 2216 on Yemen,” he said, and indicated that talks with the Houthis were making progress.
He said he had talks with McCully on various issues. “We discussed the Palestinian crisis and the two-state solution, the Syrian crisis, the situation in Yemen and attempts to reach a peaceful solution there, the Iranian intervention in the region’s affairs, and the fight against terrorism,” Al-Jubeir said.
McCully said he had fruitful talks with Al-Jubeir and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Naif on bilateral relations, regional issues, and fighting terrorism.
“We are looking to further boost our good relations with the Kingdom especially in trade and education. We want to see more Saudis studying in our country, which is very safe and provides a good educational atmosphere for young people to excel,” McCully said.
“People in Saudi Arabia think that we are a small distant country that is removed from the troubles in this region. But the truth of the matter is that terrorism is a problem for us,” he said.
“We are a nation of 4.5 million, but have up to 1 million traveling around the world at any time. So, some of our citizens were among the victims of the terror attacks in Bali and Mumbai. So, we want to do what we can to cooperate and assist in global efforts that would prevent terrorism from flourishing,” he said.


Houthis targetted civilian facility in Najran with an explosives-laden drone, says Arab Coalition

Updated 21 May 2019
0

Houthis targetted civilian facility in Najran with an explosives-laden drone, says Arab Coalition

  • Houthis also fired two ballistic missiles toward the holy city of Makkah and Jeddah on Monday

RIYADH: Houthi militants had tried to hit a civilian facility in Saudi Arabia's southern border province of Najran with a drone carrying explosives, the Arab Coalition supporting Yemen's legitimate government said on Tuesday.
In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), Colonel Turki Al-Maliki, the spokesman of the Saudi-led military coalition said the target was a vital facility.
"The Houthi-backed terrorist militia of Iran continues to carry out acts of terrorism that pose a real threat to regional and international security by targeting civilian objects and civilian facilities, as well as civilian citizens and residents of all nationalities," Al-Maliki said.

The statement did not mention casualties and gave no further details.

Earlier on Monday, Al-Maliki said Houthis fired two ballistic missiles toward the holy city of Makkah and Jeddah but both were shot down by Saudi air defense forces.

The Iran-backed Houthis have fired dozens of missiles at targets in Saudi Arabia, including the capital Riyadh, since the Arab Coalition intervened in 2015 to restore the government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, which was ousted in a Houthi coup.