Islamic State bans the pill in Mosul

Updated 01 December 2014
0

Islamic State bans the pill in Mosul

BAGHDAD: Islamic State militants in Mosul have shut down family planning departments at public hospitals in order to prevent women from using contraceptive pills, the Iraqi Human Rights Ministry said on Monday.
The terror group has also ordered hospital administrators to direct the use of medicine and medical equipment to their wounded members after losses suffered in recent battles, the ministry added.
According to the ministry, IS militants recently lashed a female doctor in the courtyard of one hospital because she wasn't wearing the niqab, a veil covering most of the face.
Meanwhile, the IS attacked a checkpoint along the highly volatile Iraqi-Syria border on Monday, killing at least 15 Iraqi border policemen, officials said.
The attack took place in the town of Al-Walid on the Iraqi side of the border, according to a senior army official. At least five officers were also wounded in the attack, he said.
Separately, IS militants beheaded a Tunisian policeman after he was kidnapped near the Algerian border late on Sunday, officials said on Monday.
Interior Ministry spokesman Mohamed Ali Laroui said the policeman was seized along with his brother by 10 militants who attacked the car they were traveling in.
The brother was released.
The government has tightened security as it prepares for a presidential election runoff this month between incumbent Moncef Marzouki and veteran politician Beji Caid Essebsi, the leader of secular Party Nida Tounes.


Libya seeks UN help as militia fighting kills 10

Updated 23 September 2018
0

Libya seeks UN help as militia fighting kills 10

  • Libya’s internationally recognized government has called on the UN to take “concrete and effective” action to protect civilians and halt the fighting.

BENGHAZI: The latest bout of fighting between rival militias in the capital Tripoli has left 10 people dead.

The medical authorities said 59 people were also wounded when fighting erupted the previous day, taking the death toll to 106 since armed conflict first began there late last month. Friday’s fighting further strained a cease-fire that has been in force since Sept. 4. They said a total of 18 people remain missing.

Libya’s internationally recognized government has called on the UN to take “concrete and effective” action to protect civilians and halt the fighting. The Government of National Accord (GNA) called on the UN mission to “present the Security Council with the reality of the bloody events in Libya so that it can ... protect the lives and property of civilians”.

Libya slid into chaos after the 2011 uprising that overthrew longtime dictator Muammar Qaddafi and led to his death. It’s governed by rival authorities, based in Tripoli and the country’s east, each backed by an array of militias.