Al-Qaeda in Yemen claims responsibility for Paris attack

Updated 15 January 2015
0

Al-Qaeda in Yemen claims responsibility for Paris attack

DUBAI: Al-Qaeda in Yemen claimed responsibility for the attack on French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, saying it was ordered by the Islamist militant group’s leadership for insulting Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), according to a video posted on YouTube.
“As for the blessed Battle of Paris, we, the Organization of Al-Qaeda al Jihad in the Arabian Peninsula, claim responsibility for this operation as vengeance for the Messenger of God,” said Nasser bin Ali Al-Ansi, a leader of the Yemeni branch of Al-Qaeda (AQAP) in the recording.
Gunmen killed a total of 17 people in three days of violence that began when they opened fire at Charlie Hebdo in revenge for its past publication of satirical images of the Prophet.
Ansi, the main ideologue for AQAP, said the “one who chose the target, laid the plan and financed the operation is the leadership of the organization,” without naming an individual.
He added without elaborating that the strike was carried out in “implementation” of the order of overall Al-Qaeda leader Ayman Al-Zawahri, who has called for strikes by Muslims in the West using any means they can find.
AQAP itself is led by Nasser Al-Wuhayshi, who is also Zawahri’s number two in the network’s global hierarchy.
“We did it in compliance with the command of Allah and supporting His Messenger, peace be upon Him,” Ansi added.
It was not immediately possible to verify the authenticity of the recording, which carried the logo of the Al-Qaeda’s media group Al-Malahem.
The first edition of Charlie Hebdo published after last week’s attacks sold out within minutes at newspaper kiosks around France on Wednesday, with people queuing up to buy copies to support the satirical weekly.

(Reporting by Sami Aboudi and Yara Bayoumy)


EU agency: More Iranian, Turkish citizens seeking asylum

Updated 11 December 2018
0

EU agency: More Iranian, Turkish citizens seeking asylum

  • 3,170 Iranians applied for asylum in the EU in October, the highest number for more than two years
  • October saw a record 2,880 asylum applications lodged by Turkish citizens

BRUSSELS: The European Union’s asylum office says people from Iran and Turkey are increasingly applying for international protection throughout the EU.
EASO said Tuesday that “Iran and Turkey have both been among the top five countries of origin over the past few months.”
It says that 3,170 Iranians applied for asylum in the EU in October, the highest number for more than two years. More than one in three Iranian applicants received protection in the past six months.
October saw a record 2,880 asylum applications lodged by Turkish citizens. Over the past six months, around 44 percent of Turkish applicants were granted refugee status.
EASO says more than 60,500 people applied for asylum in October, the highest monthly figure this year. Most were nationals of Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq.