Egypt says top militant killed

Updated 01 August 2015
0

Egypt says top militant killed

CAIRO: Egyptian armed forces killed a leading member of the country’s Daesh affiliate in a shootout outside his North Sinai home, the army spokesman said in a statement on Saturday.
Selim Suleiman Al-Haram, identified in the statement as a leader of the militant group known as Sinai Province, was asked to turn himself in by a group of soldiers that surrounded his house in the town of Sheikh Zuweid, the army said.
He refused, opening fire on the troops and attempting to blow himself up before being shot dead, the army said.
Meanwhile, an Egyptian court postponed its verdict expected on Saturday in the trial of Al-Qaeda chief Ayman Al-Zawahiri’s brother and 66 others accused of forming a “terrorist group” to carry out attacks.State news agency MENA said the court in Cairo would announce its verdict on August 10 to allow for “further deliberations.”
Mohamed Al-Zawahiri was arrested in August 2013.
Egypt is battling an increasingly brazen insurgency in the Sinai Peninsula that has killed hundreds of police officers and soldiers since the army toppled President Muhammad Mursi in 2013 after mass protests against his rule.
President Abdel Fattah El-Sissi has said militancy poses an existential threat to Egypt, the most populous Arab country.
Sinai Province, which has pledged allegiance to Daesh, claimed responsibility last week for a bombing that the army said killed four soldiers near Rafah, a town on the border with the Gaza Strip.
The group claimed responsibility earlier this month for a rocket attack on an Egyptian naval vessel near the coast of Israel and Gaza, less than a week after claiming a bombing in Cairo that heavily damaged the Italian Consulate.


Qatar says invited to emergency Arab summits in Makkah by Saudi King

Updated 1 min 38 sec ago
0

Qatar says invited to emergency Arab summits in Makkah by Saudi King

  • Last week Qatar said it had not been invited to the two summits Saudi is planning in Islam’s holiest site

CAIRO: Qatar has been invited by Saudi Arabia to attend two emergency Arab summits being convened in the Saudi city of Makkah on May 30, Qatar’s foreign ministry said on Sunday, after previously saying it had not been.

Last week Qatar said it had not been invited to the two summits Saudi is planning in Islam’s holiest site to discuss the implications of drone strikes on oil installations in the kingdom and attacks on four vessels, including two Saudi oil tankers, off the UAE coast earlier this month.

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt have imposed an economic and diplomatic boycott on Qatar since June 2017 over allegations that Doha supports terrorism and is cosying up to regional foe Iran. Qatar denies the charges.

Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani received an invitation from Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud to attend the summit of Gulf Arab rulers and a wider meeting of Arab leaders, the Qatari Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

The invitation and a letter was passed to Qatar by the head of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), the statement said, without saying whether Qatar would accept it.