Coalition says Yemen cease-fire has begun

Updated 16 December 2015
0

Coalition says Yemen cease-fire has begun

RIYADH: The Saudi-led coalition fighting Iran-backed rebels in Yemen said Tuesday that a cease-fire had begun at noon (0900 GMT) as scheduled.
Coalition spokesman Brig. Gen. Ahmed Al-Assiri confirmed that the truce had taken effect. The rebel forces have yet to say if they will abide by the cease-fire.
The coalition has said that the cease-fire was requested by Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to facilitate the planned peace talks in Switzerland.
In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), the coalition said Arab forces retained the right to respond to any breach of the cease-fire.
The coalition has been waging mainly air strikes on the Houthis since March, after the Houthis seized control of much of the country in a series of moves that started in September 2014.
The Houthis say their actions are aimed at state corruption and against the militant Islamist Al-Qaeda, while the Saudi-led coalition sees the Houthis as furthering rival Iran’s efforts to expand its influence into the Arabian Peninsula.
Two senior commanders from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates were among dozens of fighters killed in a rocket strike in south-western Yemen, according to local media and Yemeni sources on Monday.
A previous round of peace talks in Geneva in June failed to produce a breakthrough, with each side blaming the other for the failure of the talks.


Pence: Time has come for European partners to stop undermining Iran sanctions

Updated 2 min 37 sec ago
0

Pence: Time has come for European partners to stop undermining Iran sanctions

  • Vice President of the United States Mike Pence: Iran is the leading state sponsor of terrorism in the world
  • Pence also called on the EU to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal

LONDON: The time has come for the United States' European partners to stop undermining sanctions on Iran, the Vice President of the United States Mike Pence said Saturday at the Munich Security Conference. 

Pence added that Iran is the leading state sponsor of terrorism in the world, and called on the European Union to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal. 

The US vice-president also vowed that the United States would "hunt down" Daesh even after pulling its troops out of Syria, where the terrorists are facing the loss of their final scrap of land.
"The United States will continue to work with all our allies to hunt down the remnants of ISIS wherever and whenever they rear their ugly heads," Pence told the Munich Security Conference.

The US withdrew unilaterally last year from the Iran nuclear deal offering Iran incentives in exchange for limiting its nuclear capability and re-imposed tough sanctions, leaving the Europeans, as well as China and Russia, scrambling to try and keep it alive.