Saudi missing for 10 years found imprisoned in Iraq

1 / 2
2 / 2
Updated 25 May 2013
0

Saudi missing for 10 years found imprisoned in Iraq

The Human Rights Commission following up on the conditions of missing and imprisoned Saudis in Iraqi prisons announced that it found a Saudi national missing for 10 years.
Mohammad Bin Abdullah bin Al Johari Al Huwiati was isolated in solitary confinement in the 52nd Crime Investigation Bureau in Baghdad, according to the commission. Abdul Rahman Al Jaries, a lawyer for Saudi detainees in Iraq, said detainees are placed under immense pressure to confess to criminal actions they did not commit. “The case of the Saudi prisoner is taking a very dangerous curve after the Iraqi authorities decided to reopen investigations in the 52nd brigade administration. We received information saying the prisoner was isolated in solitary confinement, tortured and forced into making false confessions,” Al Jaries said.
The prisoner was earlier thought to be dead, but some detainees in Iraq said he is alive and was locked up in one of the buildings of the Ministry of Interior.
The Iraqi authorities later acknowledged the existence of the Saudi detainee. Al Huwieti called his family for the first time in years and was placed in an official Iraqi prison.
Al Juries expressed fear that the prisoner might be forced to confess to acts that would increase his sentence.
Saudi Mazen Al Masawi, who faced execution because of confessions extracted under duress and torture, had his sentence reversed because of faulty investigation procedures.
Many Saudis still remain under investigation.


More than 1.25 million foreigners arrested in KSA for flouting residential, labor laws

In this file photo, expatriate workers are seen outside a Labor Ministry office in Riyadh to fix their status in the Kingdom. In the past seven months, Saudi authorities have arrested more than 1.25 foreigners for violating residential and labor laws. (AFP)
Updated 59 min 29 sec ago
0

More than 1.25 million foreigners arrested in KSA for flouting residential, labor laws

  • Of the total arrested, 931,069 were violators of residential regulations,  218,897 for flouting labor laws and 102,000 tried to gain entry into the Kingdom illegally.
  • The crackdown started on November 16 last year and ended on June 14.

JEDDAH: More than 1.25 million people were arrested in Saudi Arabia for violating residential, labor and border security regulations during the Kingdom’s months-long campaign.

The crackdown, which started on November 16 last year and ended on June 14, saw the arrests of 1,251,966 people in the joint security field campaign across the Kingdom. Those arrested included 931,069 violators of residential regulations, 218,897 for flouting labor laws and 102,000 violators of border security regulations.

The total number of people arrested attempting to cross the Kingdom’s borders stood at 19,233 people. Of those arrested, 54 percent were Yemenis, 43 percent Ethiopian, and 3 percent from other nations. 

The Kingdom also arrested 790 people who tried to leave the Kingdom illegally.

There were 2,167 people who were arrested for harboring and transporting violators of labor and security border regulations, and 415 citizens were arrested for transporting and sheltering expatriates violating regulations. Regulatory measures were taken against 388 citizens who were subsequently released. 

The number of expatriates currently detained stands at 10,245, including 8,817 men and 1,428 women. Immediate penalties were imposed on 221,404 violators while 177,329 violators were referred to their respective diplomatic missions for travel documents and 327,034 were deported.