Erdogan refuses to speak to Egypt’s ElBaradei

Updated 18 July 2013
0

Erdogan refuses to speak to Egypt’s ElBaradei

ISTANBUL: Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has refused to speak to Egypt’s new Vice President Mohamed ElBaradei, the latest broadside in a spat that erupted after the military coup in the Arab world’s most populous country.
Erdogan infuriated Egypt’s interim leaders after he voiced support for ousted Islamist president Muhammad Mursi.
“How could I speak to you? You were not elected, you were appointed by the orchestrators of a coup,” he said on Wednesday, addressing ElBaradei in remarks carried on CNN-Turk’s website.
ElBaradei, a prominent liberal and former head of the UN nuclear watchdog, was sworn in on Sunday as part of a new cabinet appointed after the July 3 military overthrow of Mursi.
Erdogan, leader of the Islamic-rooted Justice and Development Party (AKP), had branded the coup as an “enemy of democracy” and said Mursi was the only legitimate president of Egypt.
He said he had received a letter from ElBaradei seeking a telephone conversation after his comments.
“They don’t like what we are saying; they are uncomfortable with it,” Erdogan said. “They said certain comments were made without full knowledge of the facts.”
The interim government in Cairo on Tuesday voiced “strong resentment” at Erdogan’s comments about the overthrow of Mursi, Egypt’s first freely elected president.
Relations between Turkey and Egypt had strengthened during Mursi’s year in power.


Turkish justice minister: Public should ‘ignore leaks’ regarding Khashoggi case

Updated 14 min 37 sec ago
0

Turkish justice minister: Public should ‘ignore leaks’ regarding Khashoggi case

LONDON: Turkish Justice Minister Abdulhamit Gul called on the public to ignore any information that had been leaked in the missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s case, Al-Arabiya English reported Thursday.
Gul also said that the case of Jamal Khashoggi is being “thoroughly” investigated and “results are expected to come out soon.”
Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to the US Prince Khalid bin Salman previously addressed the “malicious leaks and grim rumors flying around about Jamal’s whereabouts and fate” last week. Prince Khalid said rumors that the “Kingdom’s authorities have detained” Khashoggi or “killed him are absolutely false, and baseless.”
President Donald Trump criticized Tuesday the rapidly mounting global condemnation of Saudi Arabia over the mystery of missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi, and warned against a rush to judge. “I think we have to find out what happened first,” he said.
After a telephone conversation with King Salman on Monday in which US President Donald Trump discussed the joint investigation by the Kingdom and Turkey into Khashoggi’s disappearance, Trump said that the Saudi journalist may have been killed by “rogue killers.”
Khashoggi, a Saudi citizen who lived in the US, disappeared on Oct. 2 after visiting the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul to complete paperwork related to his divorce. Saudi Arabia and Turkey have set up a joint team to investigate the disappearance.