More than 2,000 killed in Syria since start of Ramadan: NGO

Updated 18 August 2013
0

More than 2,000 killed in Syria since start of Ramadan: NGO

BEIRUT: At least 2,014 people, most of them fighters on both sides, have been killed in Syria’s civil war since the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan began on July 10, a watchdog told AFP on Thursday.
More than 1,323 of the dead were pro- and anti-regime fighters, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The overall “toll has been particularly high in the past four days,” Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman said, adding the
He said that both sides “concealed the real number of dead so the real toll is actually higher.”
The figure for the slain pro-regime fighters included 438 army troops, while 69 were members of the regime’s paramilitary National Defense Force, the Britain-based Observatory said.
On the rebel side, 545 were civilians who took up arms and joined the revolt, 30 were men who defected from the regime army, and 241 were foreign and unidentified fighters.
The dead also included 639 civilians including 105 children and 99 women, most of them killed in army shelling, said the Observatory.
An additional 52 unidentified corpses were accounted for in the Observatory’s toll.
The Observatory says more than 100,000 people have been killed in the Syrian conflict so far, which began after President Bashar Assad’s regime unleashed a brutal crackdown against a March 2011 popular revolt calling for change.
The United Nations estimates that some 5,000 people a month are dying in Syria’s civil war.


Sudan protest leaders threaten strike unless demands met

Updated 18 sec ago
0

Sudan protest leaders threaten strike unless demands met

  • One of the demonstration leaders said they would take “escalatory measures”
  • The protesters are ready to start a million-strong march and a general strike

KHARTOUM: Protest leaders in Sudan threatened Wednesday to launch a “general strike” unless the country’s military rulers meet their demand to hand power to a civilian administration.
Responding to a journalist’s question on what steps demonstrators would take if the ruling military council fails to cede power, protest leader Siddiq Farouk threatened “escalatory measures.”
“We will launch a million-strong march, and we are preparing for a general strike,” he said.