Syria army retakes key Homs rebel district

Updated 31 July 2013
0

Syria army retakes key Homs rebel district

DAMASCUS: The Syrian regime on Monday said the army recaptured a rebel district of Homs, a key symbol of the country’s revolt, after a relentless one-month offensive.
Activists on the ground told AFP government troops now controlled 90 percent of Khaldiyeh neighborhood.
The takeover is the second military success for President Bashar Assad’s regime in Homs province in two months, after troops took over the former rebel bastion of Qusayr in June.
The full recapture of Homs, dubbed by rebels “the capital of the revolution,” would be a strategic win for the regime.
The city straddles a route linking Damascus to the Mediterranean coast and the Alawite hinterland of Assad’s minority community.
“The armed forces have restored security and stability across the neighborhood of Khaldiyeh,” one of the largest rebel bastions in the central city, state television said.
“Collapse of the terrorists’ ‘citadel’ in Khaldiyeh — we’re going from victory to victory,” the broadcaster crowed.
The army, backed by fighters from Lebanon’s powerful Hezbollah militant group, launched the assault on Khaldiyeh a month ago bolstered by the capture in June, also with Hezbollah help, of the Homs province town of Qusayr.
Several neighborhoods in the Old City remain in rebel hands, but troops, who have a foothold in that part of town too, appear determined to dislodge them.
“The capture of Khaldiyeh will make it easier (for the army) to retake the Old City and other (rebel) districts like Qussur,” Homs-based activist Mahmud Al-Lowz told AFP via the Internet.
“If Homs city falls, the north of Syria will be cut off from the south,” he added.
An army officer, interview on state television, said regime forces hope to “cleanse the whole of Syria” after the Khaldiyeh victory.
“We cleansed the neighborhood of terrorists this morning,” said the unnamed officer. “We will continue to chase the terrorists from all other areas of Homs.”
“We dedicate this victory to Bashar Assad,” he added, standing next to a pile of rubble.
State television also showed a group of soldiers chanting “we sacrifice our soul and our blood for you, O Bashar.”
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said fierce early morning battles preceded the recapture of Khaldiyeh, calling the fighting “the most violent since the offensive was launched.”
The neighborhood had endured near-daily air and artillery bombardments and a suffocating siege that prevented not only weapons but also food and medical supplies from being brought in.
“The (rebel) retreat is the result of the heavy air and artillery bombardment,” Homs-based activist Abu Rami told AFP by Internet, adding that the army now controls “90 percent” of Khaldiyeh.
“Khaldiyeh may have fallen, but Homs has not.
“We have lost this round, but we haven’t lost the war... We hold the international community and the Syrian opposition responsible for what is happening in Homs,” he said.
It is the most important military victory for the regime in Homs since the March 2012 capture of Baba Amr district, another symbol of the rebellion, following an offensive that killed hundreds.
As the army advanced in Khaldiyeh, warplanes struck the Bab Hud neighborhood of the Old City, just to the south, the Britain-based Observatory said.
The opposition National Coalition has dismissed the army’s advances in Khaldiyeh as “fictitious victories” and accused the regime of dumping “tons of bombs” on the area.
The army on Saturday seized the historic Khaled Bin Walid Mosque, which was a focal point of the uprising now in its third year.
Facing army advances in Homs, the rebels last week seized after months of fighting the key Khan Al-Assal bastion in the northern province of Aleppo, while making advances in the southern province of Daraa near the Jordan border.
As UN efforts to convene a Russian- and US-backed peace conference have faltered, Assad’s regime has pressed its offensives mainly around central Syria and Damascus.
The UN says the 28-month-old civil war in Syria has killed more than 100,000 people and forced millions to flee their homes.


Houthi militia ‘must respect neutrality of aid workers’

Updated 19 January 2019
0

Houthi militia ‘must respect neutrality of aid workers’

  • The recommendations came as UN monitors try to strengthen a cease-fire in the port of Hodeidah
  • Houthis were blamed for an attack on a UN convey on Thursday

 NEW YORK: UN experts monitoring sanctions against Yemen are recommending that the Security Council urge the Houthis to respect the neutrality and independence of humanitarian workers.

The Associated Press has obtained the nine recommendations the panel of experts made in their latest report to the council.

The recommendations came as UN monitors try to strengthen a cease-fire in the port of Hodeidah, key to the delivery of 70 percent of Yemen’s imports and humanitarian aid, and arrange a withdrawal of rival forces from the area agreed to by the government and the Houthis on Dec. 13.

While the agreement in Stockholm was limited, if fully implemented it could offer a potential breakthrough in Yemen’s four-year civil war.

The experts asked the Security Council committee monitoring sanctions against Yemen to engage with Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’s office, Yemen’s government and donors to “enhance” the UN mission inspecting vessels heading to ports in Yemen for illegal arms so it can “identify networks using false documentation to evade inspection.”

They also suggested that Guterres organize a conference with the International Monetary Fund and World Bank as well as other “key actors to best manage cash flows and imports of goods,” using the principles of the UN Global Compact on how companies should conduct business.

And the experts recommended that the secretary-general ask the UN inspection mission and monitors at the port of Hodeidah “to share information on potential cases of acts that threaten the peace, stability and security of Yemen,” including violations of international human rights and humanitarian law, the UN arms embargo, and obstructions of humanitarian assistance.

The experts also asked the sanctions committee to consider sending three letters. One would be to Abu Al-Abbas, a militia commander in the flashpoint city of Taiz, asking him to transfer artifacts and items from the Taiz National Museum in his custody to Yemen’s government. 

A second would be to alert the International Maritime Organization to “the risks posed by anti-ship cruise missiles and water-borne improvised explosive devices in the Red Sea and to encourage it to discuss these threats with the commercial shipping industry with the aim of developing suitable precautions and countermeasures.”

The third would be to alert the International Civil Aviation Organization of the risks posed by drones and munitions to civil aviation, particularly near busy international airports on the Arabian Peninsula “and encourage it to discuss these threats with airport operators and airlines with the aim of developing suitable precautions and countermeasures.”