24 pickpockets arrested in Prophet’s Mosque

Updated 18 August 2013
0

24 pickpockets arrested in Prophet’s Mosque

The Prophet’s Mosque’s security force in Madinah arrested 24 pickpockets of eight nationalities who stole from worshippers while praying inside the mosque.
The thieves were arrested during Ramadan under a plan implemented by the police director of the region, Brig. Gen. Saud bin Awad Al-Ahmadi. The plan involved deploying police detectives inside the mosque and the courtyards surrounding it to prevent any kind of pickpocketing activities.
Madinah police Col. Fahd bin Amer Al-Ghanam, said, “Three of the arrested are Egyptian, three others are Pakistanis, and a seventh is from Nepal.”
Items such as wallets containing different currencies and mobile phones were found on the suspects.
He noted that policewomen of the investigation unit arrested a 30-year-old woman while she was pickpocketing a Filipino female visitor. Once the thief noticed that she was caught red-handed, she tried to throw away the wallet, but was caught nevertheless.
“Search and investigation members were suspicious of three juveniles between the ages of 15 and 17. A mobile phone was found on one of them and the device was returned to its original owner,” said Al-Ghanam.
Another 15-year-old juvenile was arrested while he was stealing a mobile phone from a sleeping person inside the mosque. Five other mobiles and sums of different currencies were found on an Egyptian aged 35. The security force had followed the man while he was walking among worshippers who were sleeping inside the mosque at the time.
Al-Ghamam confirmed that the efforts of the security men is still in full swing, armed with their expertise and the advanced equipment they use in the field, such as cameras and state-of-the-art communication devices.
He appealed to all citizens, visitors and residents to take guard their personal belongings, and warned anybody who tries to take advantage of the worshippers while they perform the holy rituals.


Saudi Arabia says deposits $250 million into Sudan's Central Bank: statement

Updated 22 min 42 sec ago
0

Saudi Arabia says deposits $250 million into Sudan's Central Bank: statement

  • Saudi Arabia and UAE pledged to send $3 billion worth of aid to Sudan
  • The remaining amount will be allocated to meet the urgent needs of the Sudanese people

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia said on Sunday it deposited $250 million with the Sudanese central bank, according to a statement from the Kingdom’s ministry of finance.

Saudi Arabia and the UAE pledged to send $3 billion worth of aid to Sudan, after mass protests led to the ouster of president Omar al-Bashir last month.

The move will strengthen Sudan’s “financial position, alleviate pressure on the Sudanese pound and achieve more stability in the exchange rate," the statement said.

Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have deposited now $500 million into Sudan’s Central Bank, the first instalment of the joint package of aid.

The remaining amount will be allocated to meet the urgent needs of the Sudanese people, including food, medications and oil derivatives.

Mohammed Abdullah Al-Jadaan, Minister of Finance, confirmed that this deposit constitutes an extension of the Kingdom’s support to the Sudanese people.

He added that this support will strengthen the financial and economic situation in Sudan, especially the exchange rate of the Sudanese pound, which should reflect positively on the living conditions of the Sudanese citizens.