American charged with wife’s murder
American charged with wife’s murder
A local daily reported that the accused, a Christian who converted to Islam while he was in detention, disposed of the body by stuffing it into a pipeline used for gas and petroleum exploration.
The newspaper reported that the General Court in Riyadh began its procedures after taking statements from witnesses who used to work with the accused. The Chargé d’Affaires of the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Riyadh said the mission had hired a lawyer to plead the case of the Sri Lankan woman who was living with her husband in Saudi Arabia. He said he is confident that Saudi law will make sure justice is served.
The murder came to light when the Al-Kharj Governorate police received a call from the company where the accused used to work, saying they had found a stiff body in a seated position stuffed in a special well used for gas and petroleum exploration. Police officials arrested the American on the strength of testimonies given by his Chinese and Saudi co-workers.
The source said the accused had admitted that the victim was his wife. She was stuffed in a pipeline which had been sealed from both sides and was subsequently buried. The American said his wife had been missing for many months because of family and moral conflicts, but he didn’t notify the authorities about her absence.
The source said the American hired several Chinese and Saudi workers to seal and weld the pipeline’s openings after the body was stuffed in, six months before the body was found. The accused worked as a supervisor for gas and petrol excavations for Saudi Aramco.
The source said Chinese workers welded an iron pipeline from one side in one of the excavation sites. The other side of the pipeline connects the pipes together and is welded with iron plates. The accused ordered the Chinese worker to put a semi-circular iron piece on the cover to facilitate opening and closing.
During preliminary police investigation at the scene of crime, the accused gave several versions about his wife’s disappearance. First, he denied he ordered a Chinese worker to weld the pipe and move it next to his room. Then he said he didn’t remember telling him to do that, and later he said he never even saw the pipe and ordered workers to bury the waste and not the pipes.
“The accused tried to mislead detectives by putting clothes and personal belongings of Chinese workers inside the pipe,” the source added.
Turkey and US strongly deny sharing 'any audio recording'
- Secretary of State says report he had listened to a recording of Jamal Khashoggi’s death was false
- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu also denied sharing any audio recordings with US officials
LONDON: Turkey and the United States denied on Friday that Ankara had shared with Washington an audio recording related to the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said an ABC News report, citing an unnamed source, that he had listened to a recording of Khashoggi’s death while in Istanbul on Wednesday was false.
Pompeo, who also visited Saudi Arabia this week, said he had neither seen nor heard such a recording.
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu also denied sharing any audio recordings with US officials.
“It is out of the question for Turkey to give Pompeo or any other US official any audio recording,” Cavusoglu said during a visit to Tirana, Albania. “It is out of the question for us to share with any country this or that information.”
“Of course, as a result of the investigation so far, Turkey does have some information and evidence," he said. "We will share them with the world when they become fully clear because the whole world, understandably, wants to know what happened to Khashoggi and how it happened.”
Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist who lived in the US, disappeared on Oct. 2 after visiting the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul to complete paperwork related to his divorce.
Saudi Arabia and Turkey are carrying out a joint investigation into the disappearance.
On Thursday, Turkey called on the public to ignore any information claiming to be leaked from the case.
Since Khashoggi’s disappearance there has been a flurry of stories claiming to be based on leaks from the probe.
Pompeo said on Thursday they had given Saudi Arabia more time to complete the investigation to make sure they have a complete understanding of the facts.