Malaz Park in Riyadh adds to city’s attractions

Updated 08 November 2013
0

Malaz Park in Riyadh adds to city’s attractions

Riyadh Gov. Prince Khalid bin Bandar inaugurated the King Abdullah Malaz Park (KAMP) on Thursday evening.
The 318,000 square meter state-of-the-art park is set to become one of the most prominent landmarks in the capital. Located in the Al-Malaz District near Prince Faisal bin Fahd Stadium, the park is the largest of its kind in the Kingdom, offering residents the opportunity to enjoy outdoor space.
The park has been constructed under an environmentally friendly framework and is set to serve as a venue for hosting heritage exhibitions and recreational activities during national events and holidays.
Prince Turki bin Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz, deputy governor of Riyadh, along with other high-ranking Saudi officials, diplomats and media representatives, attended the opening ceremony.
The new landmark park will be an eloquent testimony to the paradigm shift, which is taking place in the urban structure of Riyadh city in terms of the conscious move taken by the government to provide the public with more public leisure spaces. The park consists of a 12-meter-wide pedestrian corridor, surrounded by lush greenery and illuminated lamps mounted on poles with aesthetic designs. The park provides an excellent place for hiking enthusiasts.
The park also houses a giant fountain, the latest of its kind in the Kingdom, measuring 110 meters high and features colorful laser lighting. It presents an aesthetically fascinating sight for the visitors, especially at night.
“King Abdullah Park is a gift from Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah when he promised to provide the racecourse with added incentive to the residents of Riyadh,” said the governor.
The park will be open to youths for two days and families for five days with the aim of providing families with a safe and comfortable environment, the governor said.


Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

Updated 20 April 2018
0

Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

  • Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis
  • The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia

Saudi air defense forces managed to intercept a ballistic missile fired by Houthi militias from Yemen headed in the direction of Saudi Arabia’s border province of Jazan on Friday.

Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis.

Colonel Turki Al-Maliki, the coalition's spokesman, said the missile was monitored by the Saudi Air Force to have been launched from Yemen's Amran province at 10:16 p.m. Monday toward populated areas in the southern Saudi province of Najran.

The missile was intercepted before it could hit its target, Al-Maliki said.

The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia using what it said were Iran-supplied drones.

So far, the Houthis have launched over 100 missiles at Saudi cities and installations.