Uighurs pour scorn on China Tiananmen ‘terrorist’ claim



Agence France Presse

Published — Friday 1 November 2013

Last update 13 November 2013 6:05 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

BEIJING: Members of China’s mostly Muslim Uighur minority and overseas groups on Thursday dismissed China’s account of a Tiananmen Square “terrorist attack” as a dubious pretext for repression, amid signs of stepped-up security.
Beijing police said on Wednesday that Usmen Hasan — in an SUV carrying his mother and wife, jihadist banners and machetes — sped onto the pavement, crashed in front of a giant portrait of Mao Zedong and set the car alight.
The incident in the symbolic heart of the Chinese state killed two tourists, with 40 other people injured, and all three in the car died, police said.
Five other suspects with Uighur-sounding names were captured within 10 hours, although police only announced their detention two days later.
The Uighur minority is concentrated in China’s far-western region of Xinjiang, where ethnic tensions and discontent with the government periodically burst out into violence.
Beijing regularly calls such incidents “terrorism,” but Uighur organizations dismiss that as an excuse to justify religious and security restrictions. Information in the area is tightly controlled.
“I don’t think there are any Uighur terrorist organizations, but China gives us a terrorist hat,” said a Uighur at a university campus in the capital, who asked not to be named.
“I love this country but I’m afraid that people won’t understand me,” he added. “It’s possible that some would take this kind of extreme measure, but because... they had a very sad experience.”
He and other Uighurs around the capital described discrimination they had encountered. A chef in a Xinjiang restaurant declined to talk about terrorism for fear he would come “under pressure.”
Alim Seytoff, a US-based spokesman for the overseas World Uyghur Congress (WUC), called the official narrative of the Tiananmen event full of holes and discriminatory.
“The Chinese claim is in a way very unbelievable, to some extent outrageous,” he told AFP.
“The only reason this is labelled as a terrorist incident is because the passengers happened to be Uighurs.”
Seytoff questioned why an attacker would kill his own family, and how religious material could survive in a car engulfed in flames.
“Why would he bring his mother and his wife?” Seytoff said.
“The car was burned almost to the ground, the three people were burned to death, and the flag wasn’t burned — in the car?“
Seytoff said there was a pattern of authorities labelling Uighurs as terrorists based on “thin evidence.”
He dismissed claims of organized resistance in Xinjiang, describing incidents instead as “sporadic, individualistic, out of desperation.”
According to Chinese state-run media a “terrorist attack” in the Turpan area in Xinjiang left 35 people dead in June, and 139 people have been arrested in recent months for propagating jihadist ideology.
Ethnic tensions have risen in Xinjiang since millions of members of China’s Han majority moved to the resource-rich region, where they largely control the economy.




Rioting in the capital Urumqi involving both ethnic groups in 2009 left 200 people dead.
Seytoff warned Uighurs could face tighter repression after Monday’s incident, particularly in the capital, where the WUC said 93 people have been rounded up.
In Xinjiang residents of Turpan said security had been ramped up, as it was after the June violence.
A restaurant manager surnamed Wang said police had alerted them to “prepare against attacks.”
State-run media warned Thursday Uighurs would be the “biggest victims” of the Tiananmen incident.
Police had refrained from stating the attackers’ ethnicity but the Global Times, which is close to the ruling Communist party and often strikes a nationalist tone, said that all those involved were Uighurs.
“People from Xinjiang, especially the Uighurs, will be the biggest victims,” it said. “The ordinary work and study of Xinjiang people” in other parts of China “may be affected,” it added, urging people in Xinjiang to “understand the negative effects and overcome them by cooperating.”
It also exhorted Han Chinese to “make the Uighurs feel our sincerity.”
Beijing’s foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying condemned the Tiananmen incident Thursday as “an action against humanity, society and civilians.”
It was “extremely wrong” to link the actions of “a small group of extremists with Chinese policy on ethnic groups and religion,” she added.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

BURAIDAH: A citizen here has claimed that the National Water Company (NWC) sent him a bill of a whopping SR2 million even though he lives in an ordinary house and does not own any businesses.However, the NWC’s office in Qassim has denied sending Abdu...
RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s plan to issue permanent residence or “green cards” to foreign workers has been warmly welcomed by the expatriate community. In an interview with Bloomberg, Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman disclosed plans for issuing suc...
JEDDAH: Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry (JCC) signed Tuesday an agreement to train 500 youth in sports management.Muhyiddin bin Yahya Hakami, deputy secretary general of the JCCI, signed the one-year agreement with Khamis bin Mohammed Al-Zahr...
RIYADH: The King Faisal Foundation was awarded the Sultan Bin Owais Cultural Award for its cultural and scientific achievements for the year 2014/2015.The board of trustees of the Sultan bin Ali Al-Owais Cultural Foundation decided at its recent meet...
JEDDAH: The Human Rights Commission (HRC) has called on the Justice Ministry to increase the number of special courts and judges around the country to help tackle a backlog of cases in some areas.There was also a need to ensure more judges that could...
RIYADH: There has been a wave of criticism from Saudis and Filipinos at the decision by the Zamboanga prosecutor’s office to dismiss a criminal case against two men accused of involvement in the shooting of well-known Saudi preacher Sheikh Ayed Al-Qa...
RIYADH: In the wake of rising accidents involving children traveling to school, police arrested a school van driver here who was transporting students in a vehicle that did not have a door.The driver, an Arab expatriate, had been operating his vehicl...
RIYADH: “Uncle Moaidh,” the man who achieved notoriety on social media for whipping his children and nephews, plans to sue the makers of a video game based on the incident.Abdulrahman Al-Thieyabi Al-Otaibi (the real name of the man) said the makers o...
RIYADH: A 74-year-old Saudi man, who contracted the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) through an infected person, died in Al-Kharj, 60 km from the capital, on Tuesday.According to an official from the Ministry of Health, the man...
RIYADH: Preacher Atiyya Al-Sulami, 90, undertook a four-day trip recently to the southern borders to visit the Saudi troops who are defending the Kingdom. “Al-Sulami set a good example for others who are similarly situated as he traveled to express...
RIYADH: As part of a move to give women a wider role in the organization, the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (Haia) has decided to create a Female Research Chair. The move ends the male monopoly in the research sect...
DAMMAM: Raising a child is expensive, but many believe that girls are more expensive than boys.With the change of social pattern in the Kingdom, Saudi household expenses have doubled in recent years, and too often, girls are considered to be one of t...
RIYADH: Obesity is increasing in the Kingdom at an alarming rate and it will eventually lead to diabetes causing renal, cardiac, dental and eye diseases, said a senior official at a Riyadh-based company.Vikrant Shrotriya of Novo Nordisk was speaking...
MADINAH: Madinah Gov. Prince Faisal bin Salman launched Wednesday 41 education projects worth SR400 million.Minister of Education Ahmed Al-Issa and Minister of Commerce Tawfiq Al-Rabiah were among the attendees at the launch ceremony. The projects in...
RIYADH: In keeping with demand, there has been a 50 percent increase in the construction of housing units in the Kingdom, the Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MCI) announced here Wednesday.According to a report released by the MCI real estate off-p...

Stay Connected

Facebook