Bomber kills 15 west of Damascus

Updated 27 November 2013
0

Bomber kills 15 west of Damascus

DAMASCUS: A suicide bomber blew up a vehicle at a bus stop west of Damascus on Tuesday, killing at least 15 people, state television said.
“The terrorist explosion in front of the bus stop in Somariyeh was caused by a suicide attacker,” the broadcaster said in a news flash.
“It killed at least 15 citizens and wounded more than 30.”
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said two children were among the dead.
“Nine of those killed were civilians, while six were troops,” said the Britain-based Observatory, which relies on a network of activists, doctors and lawyers on the ground for its reporting.
Somariyeh neighborhood is home to “a complex housing families of soldiers fighting with the elite Fourth Division,” Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman said.
The Fourth Division is commanded by President Bashar Assad’s feared brother Maher.
The bombing came after mortar fire on several parts of Damascus killed six people, including two children, the Observatory said.
It also came as rebels, including Al-Qaeda loyalists, pressed a four-day-old offensive to lift a yearlong siege by the army of their positions in eastern suburbs of the capital.
Fighting raged in Adra, a strategic town northeast of the capital, while the army pounded the besieged rebel enclaves of Douma and Marj to its east, the Observatory said.
Hezbollah has sent “hundreds of fighters” to back the army in its bid to repulse the rebel assault, the watchdog added.
Health Minister Saad Al-Nayef accused the rebels of killing “five doctors, five nurses and two ambulance drivers” in the Qalamoun town of Deir Attiyeh after they seized it from the army last week.
In Nabuk, government airstrikes killed at least seven people, among them three children, the Observatory said.


Kosovan women returned from Syria face house arrest

Updated 24 April 2019
0

Kosovan women returned from Syria face house arrest

  • Four alleged militants, all men, were arrested the moment they were brought to the country
  • The state prosecution said all 32 repatriated women are under investigation

PRISTINA: Kosovo prosecutors have requested the house arrest of 16 women repatriated from Syria, saying they are suspected of joining or taking part as foreign fighters there.

The women appeared on Wednesday in court in Pristina, a day after 10 other women were put under house arrest. None have been charged with a crime.

Four alleged militants, all men, were arrested the moment they were brought to the country.

The women and children were sent to the Foreign Detention Centre in the outskirts of Pristina but were freed to go home after 72 hours.

Ten women were seen entering Pristina Basic Court in a police escort on Tuesday. The court said in a statement later that they had been placed under house arrest on charges of joining foreign armed groups and terrorist groups in Syria and Iraq from 2014 to 2019.

The state prosecution said all 32 repatriated women are under investigation and more of them are expected to appear in front of judges on Wednesday. The prosecution has yet to file charges.

After the collapse of Islamic State’s self-declared caliphate in Syria and Iraq, countries around the world are wrestling with how to handle militants and their families seeking to return to their home countries.

Kosovo's population is nominally 90 percent Muslim, but the country is largely secular in outlook. More than 300 of its citizens travelled to Syria since 2012 and 70 men who fought alongside militant groups were killed.

Police said 30 Kosovan fighters, 49 women and eight children remain in the conflict zones. The government said it plans to bring back those who are still there.

International and local security agencies have previously warned of the risk posed by returning fighters. In 2015, Kosovo adopted a law making fighting in foreign conflicts punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

On Saturday, 110 Kosovar citizens — the four alleged foreign fighters, 32 women and 74 children — were returned to Kosovo with assistance from the United States, the first such move for a European country.

Authorities say there are still 87 Kosovar citizens in Syria.