New mass grave found in Sri Lanka four years after war

Updated 18 March 2014
0

New mass grave found in Sri Lanka four years after war

COLOMBO: An unmarked mass grave has been found in Sri Lanka’s former war zone, the first discovery of an unmarked gravesite since troops defeated Tamil rebels more than four years ago, police said.
Construction workers in the coastal district of Mannar stumbled on at least 10 skeletal remains buried at a location where they were laying a new water pipe, said police spokesman Ajith Rohana.
“A judicial medical officer has gone to the site. Further forensic examinations are underway to determine the age of the mass grave,” Rohana said. “Additional staff are being inducted for the investigation.”
There was no immediate indication who the victims were or how and when they had died.
However, it is the first time that evidence of a mass grave has emerged in the former war zone since troops declared victory over separatist Tamil Tiger guerrillas in May 2009.
Both government forces and Tamil Tiger rebels have been accused of killing civilians during the 37-year separatist war.
Sri Lanka has denied allegations that its troops killed up to 40,000 civilians in the final months of fighting.
Earlier this year construction workers stumbled on another mass grave in central Sri Lanka, hundreds of kilometers away from the conflict zone.
At least 154 people had been buried in the grave at the central district of Matale, a hotbed of an anti-government uprising between 1987 and 1990.
Local forensic experts said it dated back to a period when the then-government led a crackdown on leftist Sinhalese rebels.
The insurgency by the mainly Sinhalese JVP was unrelated to the separatist campaign in the north and east by Tamil rebels.
The UN has estimated that at least 100,000 people were killed in Sri Lanka’s Tamil separatist war.


Hungary detains Syrian Daesh member accused of killings: prosecutors

Updated 22 March 2019
0

Hungary detains Syrian Daesh member accused of killings: prosecutors

  • Eurojust, the European agency that oversees judicial co-operation in crime investigations, working with Belgian and Hungarian authorities, found evidence later that he was a member of Daesh
  • Prior to being detained, the man was already awaiting deportation to Greece

BUDAPEST: Hungarian authorities have detained a Syrian man on Friday accused of taking part in beheadings in Syria as a member of Daesh, Budapest prosecutors said in a statement.
The man, not identified in the statement, is suspected of executing about 20 people in 2016, all family members of a person in Homs city who refused to join Daesh, the prosecutors said.
The statement said the man, prior to being detained, was already awaiting deportation to Greece.
He had been caught with forged documents in Budapest's main airport on Dec. 30 last year, given a suspended prison sentence for human trafficking and other crimes, and ordered expelled from Hungary.
Eurojust, the European agency that oversees judicial co-operation in crime investigations, working with Belgian and Hungarian authorities, found evidence later that he was a member of Daesh, the prosecutors said.