Way cleared for prince’s execution

Updated 29 December 2013
0

Way cleared for prince’s execution

Crown Prince Salman, deputy premier and minister of defense, has cleared the way for the possible execution of a prince convicted of murdering a Saudi citizen. This follows the refusal by the victim’s father to pardon the killer.
“Shariah shall be applied to all without exception,” said Prince Salman in a message to Interior Minister Prince Muhammad bin Naif.
“There is no difference between big and small, rich and poor. The powerful are weak before God’s law until others get their rights from them while the weak are powerful until their rights are protected.”
The directive further read: “Nobody is allowed to interfere with the judiciary’s decision. This is the tradition of this state. We are committed to following the Shariah.”
According to a report carried by sabq.org, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah had issued a Royal Decree to pronounce capital punishment for the prince if the reconciliation bid failed. The governorate of the region was instructed to mediate between the victim’s relatives and the killer.
But if they refused, the person shall be executed, the king said, stressing that the victim’s family should be under no pressure to win the pardon.
Prince Salman’s message followed a statement from the victim’s father that he was not ready to pardon the killer and that the reconciliation committee was not fair to him.
The father stated that he was not happy with the amount offered as blood money.
The crown prince attached the father’s statement with his message to the interior minister.
Saudis and expatriates applauded the crown prince’s stand, saying it gives them greater confidence in the Kingdom’s judiciary. “We are happy that the Shariah is enforced in the Kingdom,” one Saudi said, adding that it would ensure justice for all.
He praised Saudi leaders for their strong commitment to the enforcement of Shariah laws.


Put pressure on Houthis to comply with Stockholm Agreement, Saudi envoy urges UN 

Updated 20 min 49 sec ago
0

Put pressure on Houthis to comply with Stockholm Agreement, Saudi envoy urges UN 

  • Prince Khalid says Houthis have repeatedly violated the agreement signed in Sweden last year
  • Despite the agreement, Houthis have launched drone attacks, shelled Saudi border towns and launched a ballistic missile towards KSA

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia’s envoy to the US urged the United Nations on Thursday to take the Houthi militia to task for “reneging on their commitments” under the Stockholm Agreement on Yemen.
“The Stockholm Agreement between Yemeni parties is being violated repeatedly by the Houthis,” Prince Khalid bin Salman said in a series of tweets.
He said the Yemeni government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi and the Saudi-led Coalition that is backing it have been implementing their obligation under the agreement.
Signed last December in Stockholm, Sweden, the agreement is an important first step for sustainable peace and offers hope for millions of Yemenis.
“(But) it takes two sides to make it work, so far, the Iran-backed Houthi militia seems determined to uphold the misery and suffering of the brotherly Yemeni people,” Prince Khalid said.
“Not only did the Houthis refuse to implement the Stockholm agreement, which they signed to, but they also went beyond that and continued their armed assault including drone attacks, the shelling of residential neighborhoods & launching a ballistic missile towards KSA,” he tweeted.
He also pointed to the attack on Jan. 17 that targeted a UN convoy in Yemen's port city of Hodeidah, which was blamed on Houthis.
"The Iran-backed militia displayed its contempt for peace by attempting to target a UN convoy, this is a reminder that we are dealing with a lawless militia that does not care about peace or the fate of millions of Yemenis," the envoy said.
He said the UN should "name the party that failed to uphold basic confidence building measures leading up to the Stockholm agreement, and clearly identify who is responsible for the attack on the armored vehicle that was carrying chief UN monitor Patrick Cammaert."