Philippines releases photos of Chinese reclamation on disputed reef

1 / 3
2 / 3
3 / 3
Updated 15 May 2014
0

Philippines releases photos of Chinese reclamation on disputed reef

MANILA: The Philippine government released on Thursday military surveillance pictures of Chinese land reclamation on a reef claimed by Manila in the South China Sea that show Beijing violated a regional agreement not to escalate territorial disputes.
Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said the pictures show Chinese aggressiveness in asserting its claims over the entire South China Sea.
The aerial photographs were accompanied by a caption stating that they were obtained from “Philippine intelligence sources.” The caption said the “extensive reclamation” by China on the Johnson South Reef, called Mabini by Manila and Chigua by Beijing, was “destabilizing.”
The Chinese Embassy in Manila had no immediate comment, but a Foreign Ministry spokesman in Beijing has said that the area is part of China’s territory, and that any Chinese activities at the reef should be of no concern to Manila.
Jose said a 2002 nonbinding agreement between China and the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations calls for restraint in conducting activities in the region that would “complicate or escalate disputes” and to not inhabit uninhabited areas.
“We want to show people that (China’s) actions are part of its aggressive behavior to assert its claim in violation of the DOC,” or Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea, which was signed by China, Philippines and nine other ASEAN members, Jose said.
Philippine Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said Wednesday that it was not clear what China would build on the reclaimed land, but that an airstrip was a possibility.
A senior government official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk about the issue, said it could also be used as a military base and a resupply and refueling hub. The official said the reclamation was first detected by air force planes six months ago.
Philippine aircraft helping search for the missing Malaysian Airlines plane in March reported reclamation work was continuing, Jose said.
Del Rosario said Manila lodged a protest against China last month. Beijing, however, has ignored it.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said at a news conference in Beijing Wednesday that the reef was part of China’s territory and any construction there is covered by its “sovereignty rights.”
The Philippine government estimates that the Chinese have reclaimed a land mass of at least 30 hectares (74 acres) from the reef, which Manila says is part of its western Palawan province. What has emerged from the coral outcrop appears like a vast tree-less island of white sand in the middle of turquoise blue waters.
One picture showed a long pipe connected to a large dredging vessel on the northwestern edge of the reef. A concrete building, likely to be China’s outpost on the reef, stands on the southern edge of the emerging islet. A ship is anchored close by.
An airstrip or a military base on the reef would boost the mobility of Beijing’s naval and air forces in the South China Sea region, far from the Chinese mainland.
The reef, part of the Spratly Islands chain, is also claimed by Vietnam, which fought a deadly naval battle against China in the area in 1988.
___
Associated Press writers Jim Gomez in Manila and Christopher Bodeen in Beijing contributed to this report.


Man injures four people, shot dead after Marseille knife attack

Updated 49 sec ago
0

Man injures four people, shot dead after Marseille knife attack

MARSEILLE: Officials in the French city of Marseille say a knife-wielding man has been shot dead after he allegedly attacked several people on a major street.

French media report at least two pedestrians were injured in the knife attack that took place late Tuesday afternoon, but none of their lives were considered to be in danger.

An official with the regional administration said there was no reason yet to think the attack was terror-related but information was sketchy.

The official could not confirm the identity of the attacker or the nature of the attack. The official spoke on condition of anonymity, citing department policy.