Kuwait emir urges Yemen foes to press on with peace talks

Yemeni Foreign Minister Abdulmalek al-Mikhlafi (C) speaks to the press at the Yemeni embassy in Kuwait City on Tuesday. Yemen's government threatened to quit peace talks with Iran-backed rebels, giving the UN envoy a "last chance" to make them comply with UN resolutions. (AFP / Yasser Al-Zayyat)
Updated 04 August 2016
0

Kuwait emir urges Yemen foes to press on with peace talks

KUWAIT CITY: Kuwait’s emir on Wednesday urged Yemen’s warring parties to press ahead with peace talks, a day after the government delegation threatened to pull out of the UN-brokered negotiations.
Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah, whose country is hosting the talks, called on the two sides to continue negotiating to “reach positive results,” the official KUNA news agency reported.
The appeal came after the emir met separately with the two delegations and the UN envoy, in an attempt to salvage the talks that began four weeks ago.
Senior officials from Kuwait have repeatedly mediated and sought to prevent the collapse of the negotiations aimed at ending nearly 14 months of bloodshed.
Yemeni Foreign Minister Abdulmalek Al-Mikhlafi, who heads the government delegation, threatened on Tuesday to quit the talks with Iran-backed rebels, giving the UN envoy a “last chance” to make them comply with UN resolutions.
He said the rebels should acknowledge their respect to UN Security Council Resolution 2216 which demands the insurgents withdraw from areas they occupied since 2014 and surrender arms.
The United Nations estimates that more than 6,400 people have been killed and 2.8 million displaced in Yemen since March last year.


Turkey launches air strike on Iraqi Kurdistan after killing of diplomat

Updated 19 July 2019
0

Turkey launches air strike on Iraqi Kurdistan after killing of diplomat

  • Turkish vice consul to Iraq’s autonomous Kurdish region was shot dead Wednesday in the local capital Irbil
  • Turkish separatist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) is suspected to be involved in the killing

ANKARA: Turkey on Thursday launched an air attack on Iraqi Kurdistan in response to the killing of a Turkish diplomat in the region, the country’s defense minister said.
The Turkish vice consul to Iraq’s autonomous Kurdish region was shot dead Wednesday in the local capital Irbil. Police sources said two other people were also killed.
There was no claim of responsibility for the shooting, but many Iraqi experts have pointed to the probability that the Turkish separatist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), which Ankara considers a terrorist group, was behind the attack.
“Following the evil attack in Irbil, we have launched the most comprehensive air operation on Qandil and dealt a heavy blow to the (PKK) terror organization,” defense minister Hulusi Akar said in a statement.
Targets such as “armaments positions, lodgings, shelters and caves belonging to terrorists” were destroyed.
“Our fight against terror will continue with increasing determination until the last terrorist is neutralized and the blood of our martyrs will be avenged,” he added.
The Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP), which now leads the regional government, enjoys good political and trade relations with Turkey.
But Turkey has been conducting a ground offensive and bombing campaign since May in the mountainous northern region to root out the PKK which has waged an insurgency against the Turkish state since 1984.
Earlier this month, the PKK announced that one of those raids killed senior PKK leader Diyar Gharib Mohammed along with two other fighters.
A spokesman for the PKK’s armed branch denied the group was involved in Wednesday’s shooting.