France, OIC flay Israeli bill to legalize settler homes

A general view of the Israeli outpost, a wildcat Jewish settlements built on private Palestinian land, of Mitzpe Dani in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday. (AFP)
Updated 16 November 2016
0

France, OIC flay Israeli bill to legalize settler homes

JEDDAH: The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) strongly condemned a bill by the Israeli occupation government aimed at legitimizing colonial settlement areas in the occupied Palestinian territories including Al-Quds Al-Shareef.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, it stated that these illegitimate measures undertaken by Israel with a view to consolidating its occupation and colonial settlement are null and void by virtue of international law and relevant UN resolutions.
The OIC also strongly condemned the Israeli escalation represented by the endorsement of a bill banning the adhan (call for prayer) in the mosques in the occupied city of Al-Quds and its suburbs, underscoring that these serious measures are part of Israel’s racist practices and continued aggressions on Islamic holy sites. These practices also constitute a grave violation of the freedom of worship and of the inviolability of sacred sites, and a violation of the international humanitarian law.
The OIC warned against the persistence of such Israeli racist practices and aggressions which could fuel religious conflict, extremism and violence in the region. It also called on the international community, particularly the Security Council, to assume its responsibility and put an end to these repeated serious Israeli violations against sacred places.
In an earlier press release, the Muslim body condemned the terrorist attack on the German Consulate in Mazar-e-Sharif, Afghanistan, on Friday, leading to the death of at least six civilians.
In a press release, the OIC general secretariat emphasized the inviolability of the premises and members of diplomatic missions, and called on the Afghan authorities to bring the perpetrators of this terrorist attack to justice.
It extended its condolences to the families of the victims and wished the wounded quick recovery.
Meanwhile, France said that the Israeli bill was of a matter of deep concern and jeopardized a two-state solution.
“This proposed law, if it were adopted, would once again jeopardize a two-state solution and would contribute in worsening tensions on the ground. France is deeply concerned by it,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Romain Nadal said in a daily briefing.

— With agencies


Netanyahu’s adviser accused of sexual assault resigns

Updated 13 December 2018
0

Netanyahu’s adviser accused of sexual assault resigns

  • David Keyes, Netanyahu’s spokesman with the foreign press, formally resigned on Wednesday
  • Keyes issued a statement saying he had “decided to pursue new opportunities in the private sector”

JERUSALEM: An adviser to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has tendered his resignation following allegations of sexual assault.
David Keyes, Netanyahu’s spokesman with the foreign press, formally resigned on Wednesday, nearly three months after taking a leave of absence after he was accused of sexual assault by at least a dozen women.
Keyes issued a statement saying he had “decided to pursue new opportunities in the private sector.”
Keyes has denied the assault accusations, saying all were “deeply misleading and many of them are categorically false.”
Israel’s Civil Service Commission closed an investigation into the allegations last month without taking any disciplinary action against Keyes.
Netanyahu thanked Keyes in a statement “for his great contribution to Israel’s information effort.”