Coup defeat a matter of time, says Yemeni VP

Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar. (Reuters file photo)
Updated 06 February 2017
0

Coup defeat a matter of time, says Yemeni VP

ADEN: Yemeni Vice President Lt. Gen. Ali Mohsen Saleh Al-Ahmar said the defeat of the coup in his country is just “a matter of time” given the progress made by the Saudi-led Arab coalition.
“The legitimate Yemeni forces are in a much better position than they were some time ago; they now have full control of most land and maritime territories,” Al-Ahmar said.
“The legitimacy is being restored to the state institutions, especially after the transfer of the Central Bank of Yemen and the Yemeni Parliament’s sessions to the temporary capital of Aden,” he said.
The vice president also said that the legitimate leadership is shouldering its responsibilities toward the Yemeni people, who see the Houthi militias losing by the day, and realize that the coup will inevitably come to an end.
Moreover, salaries of state employees are being paid without discrimination in all provinces, Al-Ahmar pointed out, adding that this is a step in the right direction that makes citizens realize that their leadership is assuming full responsibility.
Al-Ahmar also said that support should be given to President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi’s project of creating a federal state made up of six regions.
“The national army is fighting an unusual battle to restore the state, with an integrated political, military and economic support of the Arab coalition forces,” he said.
In a meeting with the US ambassador to Yemen on Saturday, Al-Ahmar underlined Iran’s abuses of international resolutions and acts of sabotage, including its continuous interventions in Yemen by smuggling weapons and supporting armed groups.
The US official expressed his criticism of the Iranian intervention in Yemen, and he reconfirmed the desire of his country to enhance cooperation with the legitimate government, and strengthen partnerships in the fight against terrorism.


Turkey seeks to detain over 300 for alleged Gulen ties

Updated 3 min 15 sec ago
0

Turkey seeks to detain over 300 for alleged Gulen ties

  • Tens of thousands of people have been arrested over suspected links to Gulen since 2016
  • More than 760 people were detained last week in operations across 76 provinces of Turkey’s 81 provinces, although 122 suspects were later freed under judicial supervision

ANKARA: Turkish police on Tuesday launched raids to detain over 300 people, including military personnel, suspected of ties to a group blamed for a 2016 coup bid, state media reported.
Prosecutors in Turkey’s three biggest provinces — Istanbul, Ankara and Izmir — issued arrest warrants for 324 people as part of different probes into followers of US-based Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen, the private DHA and the Anadolu state news agency said.
Turkey accuses Gulen of ordering the abortive bid to topple President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on July 15, 2016 but he strongly denies the claim.
The Istanbul public prosecutor sought the arrest of 53 active duty soldiers in 15 provinces, including in the metropolis, Anadolu reported.
In the Aegean province of Izmir, the public prosecutor issued 182 arrest warrants with police conducting raids across 42 provinces, including Izmir, DHA reported.
The capital’s public prosecutor said it issued 89 arrest warrants in two separate probes including one looking at the gendarmerie, which is in charge of domestic security.
The Ankara prosecutor’s office said 30 suspects had already been detained.
The operations against alleged members of Gulen’s movement have increased in recent months.
More than 760 people were detained last week in operations across 76 provinces of Turkey’s 81 provinces, although 122 suspects were later freed under judicial supervision.
Sixteen other suspects were released, according to the Ankara public prosecutor’s office.
Tens of thousands of people have been arrested over suspected links to Gulen since 2016.
Meanwhile, more than 100,000 people have been sacked or suspended from the public sector.
Despite criticism from Western allies and human rights defenders over the scale of the crackdown, the police operations and probes continue with rigour.
Turkish officials insist that the raids are necessary to remove the “virus” caused by the Gulen movement’s infiltration of Turkish state bodies.