Over 30 dead as gunmen dressed as doctors raid Kabul hospital

1 / 2
Afghanistan's Army helicopters fly over the biggest military hospital after the clash started between insurgent fighters and army soldiers at the gate of the hospital in Kabul on Wednesday. (AP Photos/Massoud Hossaini)
2 / 2
Smoke rises from a military hospital at the site of blast and gunfire in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Wednesday. (REUTERS/Mohammad Ismail)
Updated 08 March 2017
0

Over 30 dead as gunmen dressed as doctors raid Kabul hospital

KABUL: Gunmen dressed as doctors stormed Afghanistan’s largest military hospital Wednesday, killing more than 30 people in a six-hour attack claimed by Daesh as it makes inroads into the war-battered country. 

Around 50 others were wounded in the assault on the Sardar Daud Khan hospital, with explosions and gunfire rattling Kabul’s diplomatic district as dense clouds of smoke rose in the sky.

Medical staff hunkered down in the hospital wards posted desperate messages for help on social media. Television footage showed some of them trapped on the ledge of a top-floor window.

“Attackers are inside the hospital. Pray for us,” a hospital staff member wrote on Facebook.

Hospital administrators said three gunmen wearing white laboratory coats began spraying bullets after a suicide bomber on foot blew himself up at the backdoor entrance, sparking chaos inside the 400-bed facility.

“I saw one of the attackers, armed with an AK-47 and dressed as a doctor, shooting at patients and guards on the third floor,” hospital nurse Abdul Qadeer said.

“They shot my friend but I managed to flee... I had to jump over the barbed wire to escape.”

At least two other loud explosions — including what the Defense Ministry called a car bomb in the hospital’s parking lot — were heard as Afghan Special Forces launched a clearance operation that lasted around six hours.

The attackers were gunned down after the Special Forces landed on the roof of the hospital in a military helicopter.

“More than 30 people were killed and around 50 wounded in today’s attack,” Defense Ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri said. “Most of the victims are patients, doctors and nurses.”

Afghanistan’s warring parties, including government forces, have repeatedly targeted medical facilities, decimating the country’s fragile health system and preventing conflict-displaced civilians from accessing life-saving care.

“This is a criminal act. Nothing can justify an attack on hospitals,” Afghan Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah said of the latest attack.

“We will never forgive these criminals. Unfortunately, this attack has resulted in some casualties.”

Daesh claimed the attack via a verified Telegram account.

The more powerful Taliban said they were not behind the raid. The militant group, Afghanistan’s largest, is known to distance itself from attacks on medical facilities or those that result in high civilian casualties.

The assault comes just a week after 16 people were killed in simultaneous Taliban suicide assaults on two security compounds in Kabul.

Dozens of others were wounded as a suicide car bomber struck an Afghan police precinct in western Kabul and a five-hour gunbattle ensued after another attacker sneaked in.

In the second attack last week, a suicide bomber blew himself up at the gates of an Afghan intelligence agency branch in eastern Kabul.

The carnage underscores rising insecurity. The country is bracing for an intense fighting season in the spring as the government’s repeated bids to launch peace negotiations with the Taliban have failed.

Afghan forces, already beset by record casualties, desertions and non-existent “ghost soldiers” on the payroll, have been struggling to beat back insurgents since US-led NATO troops ended their combat mission in December 2014.

Kabul last month endorsed US Gen. John Nicholson’s call for thousands of additional coalition troops to hold off the militants before the spring offensive.

Extra troops were needed to end the stalemate in the war, Nicholson, the top US commander in Afghanistan, told the US Congress in what could be President Donald Trump’s first major test of military strategy.


Still going! Hawaii volcano thunders on

Updated 14 min 14 sec ago
0

Still going! Hawaii volcano thunders on

  • Molten rock is blasting from one last eruption site, a large cinder cone in a hard-hit neighborhood
  • An estimated 700 homes have been destroyed, more than 500 of those in just two days

PAHOA, Hawaii: A tour boat accident has drawn renewed attention to Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano, but for Big Island residents the erupting lava has been an ever-present force for more than two months.
Molten rock is blasting from one last eruption site, a large cinder cone in a hard-hit neighborhood where new volcanic cracks first opened May 3. It’s sending huge volumes of lava snaking to the ocean miles away.
An estimated 700 homes have been destroyed, more than 500 of those in just two days, and thousands of people have been displaced. One man was injured in the weeks after the eruption began, and another 23 people were hurt Monday when lava entering the ocean exploded onto a tour boat.
The lava has covered more than 11 square miles (28 square kilometers) of land, vaporized the state’s largest freshwater lake and filled an entire ocean bay, turning it into a mile (1.6 kilometers) of burnt, rocky ground. Steam and gas could be seen pouring from a new, very small island that formed near the flows on Friday.
The collapse of the Kilauea summit crater also continues, with large explosions and strong earthquakes occurring almost daily.