12 Saudi soldiers killed in Yemen helicopter crash

A picture taken March 10, 2016 shows a Saudi helicopter firing during the Northern Thunder military exercises in Hafr al-Batin. A Saudi military helicopter crashed early Tuesday in the eastern Yemen province of Marib, killing 12 Saudi officers, the mArab Coalition supporting the Yemeni government said. (AFP file photo)
Updated 19 April 2017
0

12 Saudi soldiers killed in Yemen helicopter crash

RIYADH: The Saudi-led military coalition fighting in Yemen said one of its helicopters crashed in eastern Yemen on Tuesday, killing 12 Saudi officers in one of the deadliest incidents for the Kingdom’s troops since the war began more than two years ago.

The Black Hawk helicopter crashed in Yemen’s eastern province of Marib, the coalition said, adding that it is investigating the circumstances.  

The incident happened as US Defense Secretary James Mattis arrived in Riyadh, to discuss the Yemen war with Saudi leaders.

The names of the soldiers who lost their lives are: Lt. Col. Abdulrahman bin Saeed Al-Shehri, Lt. Col. Faisal Sauda Al-Subaie, Capt. Turki bin Ibrahim Al-Huwairini, 1st Lt. Rayan bin Abdulrahman Al-Shahrani, Master Sgt. Ali bin Yahya Al-Sheikhi, Cpl. Moeedh Mohammed Al-Qahtani, Cpl. Mahal bin Salem Al-Rashidi,  Pvt. Mohammed Abdullah Al-Saeiri, Sgt. Ali Abdullah Al-Halafi, Technical Sgt. Musa Salem Al-Shihri, Master Sgt. Nayef Hassan Moawad, Pvt. 1st Class Mohammed Ahmed Aqeeli.

 


Saudi Arabian Ministry of Interior has received more than 120,000 applications for driving licenses so far

Updated 25 min 32 sec ago
0

Saudi Arabian Ministry of Interior has received more than 120,000 applications for driving licenses so far

RIYADH: The Saudi Arabian Ministry of Interior has established six driving schools for women in different regions of Saudi Arabia, according to an interior ministry spokesperson.

Mansour Al-Turki said on Sunday that the ministry has received more than 120,000 applications for driving licenses so far and demand is still very high.

Saudi women celebrated taking the wheel for the first time in decades on Sunday as the Kingdom overturned the world’s only ban on female motorists, a historic reform expected to usher in a new era of social mobility.

At a press conference to mark the occasion, Al-Turki said there are 9 districts where female driving schools have not yet been established and there is evidence to suggest women in these areas want to learn.

The interior ministry spokesperson urged motorists not to violate regulations and infringe on the rights and freedoms of others.

Meanwhile, Director General of the Saudi Traffic Directorate, Maj. Gen. Mohammed Al-Bassami said the directorate has developed a device to identify and verify driving licenses through a fingerprinting system.

He acknowledged there is great awareness among women in dealing with traffic rules and regulations, adding there are no traffic exemptions for women, only for people with special needs.

The move is part of Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman’s plan to modernize and reform Saudi Arabia.