Lebanese army hits Daesh targets

In this June 19, 2016 photo, Lebanese army soldiers work on a 130mm howitzer cannon, pointed at areas controlled by Daesh militants near Arsal, in northeast Lebanon. Lebanon's US-backed military is gearing up for a long awaited assault to dislodge hundreds of Daesh militants from a remote corner of northeastern Lebanon near the border with Syria, seeking to end a years-long threat posed to neighboring towns and villages by the extremists. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla, File)
Updated 11 August 2017
0

Lebanese army hits Daesh targets

BEIRUT: The Lebanese army targeted Daesh positions on the outskirts of Ras Baalbek and Al-Qaa in northeast Lebanon on Thursday with heavy artillery, rocket launchers and helicopters.
“Direct targets among terrorists were hit,” the Army Command said.
Hezbollah has called for coordination between themselves, the Lebanese army and the Syrian army to expel Daesh from the area. The suggestion was rejected by Lebanon’s Supreme Defense Council.
“Lebanon is committed to the international coalition to fight terrorism and considers the Lebanese army the sole force capable of undertaking confrontations,” it said.
Meanwhile, the Syrian ambassador to Lebanon has intervened in the controversy over invitations from the Syrian regime to Lebanese MPs to attend this month’s Damascus International Fair, an event to promote the reconstruction of Syria.
The invitations have exposed rifts in Lebanon’s new “national unity” government. Prime Minister Saad Al-Hariri has banned ministers from official visits to Syria, but some will defy the ban and go to Damascus anyway. Agriculture Minister Ghazi Zaiter, Industry Minister Hussein Hajj Hassan and Economy Minister Raed Khoury are all expected to attend the event.
Syrian Ambassador Ali Abdul Karim told the pro-Hezbollah Al-Ahd website: “There are agreements between Lebanon and Syria; there are embassies, and ongoing coordination despite the irresponsible and illogical statements that were recently made.
“Relations between Lebanon and Syria are still on, and it is in the interests of both countries for this coordination to be more effective.
“Syria, with its achievements, victories and counterterrorism, has done a great favor for Lebanon and the region.”


Migrant charity files manslaughter complaint against cargo ship, Libya

Updated 21 July 2018
0

Migrant charity files manslaughter complaint against cargo ship, Libya

  • The migrant rescue boat Open Arms docked in Spain on Saturday carrying the bodies of a woman and a four-year-old boy
  • Open Arms claimed the ship’s crew had seen the migrant dingy but had failed to provide help

PALMA DE MALLORCA: The charity Proactiva Open Arms has filed a complaint, including of involuntary manslaughter, with the Spanish police against a cargo ship for failing to help migrants adrift on a destroyed dinghy in the Mediterranean.
The captain of the charity’s rescue boat said on Saturday he also plans to file a separate suit against the Libyan lifeguard.
The migrant rescue boat Open Arms docked in Spain on Saturday carrying the bodies of a woman and a four-year-old boy as well as one woman who was found alive floating on the remains of a dinghy off the coast of Libya last week.
The boat took four days to arrive in the Spanish port of Palma after finding the migrants adrift about 80 miles (130 km)off Libya’s coast after being abandoned by the Libyan coast guard, the charity said.
“We have filed a complaint against the captain of the (merchant ship) Triades for failing to help and for involuntary manslaughter and we’ll also do it against the captain of the Libyan patrol,” Oscar Camps, the Open Arms captain and founder of the NGO, said at a news conference.
Open Arms claimed the ship’s crew had seen the migrant dingy but had failed to provide help. Reuters could not find a way to contact the captain of Triades, which flies a Panamanian flag. The ship is currently moored in the Libyan port of Misrata, where officials could not be reached for comment.
The Libyan lifeguard also left the three migrants to float amid the shattered remains of the raft after the two women and the boy had refused to board their patrol ship, the charity said.
Libya’s coast guard disputed the account on Tuesday but offered no explanation for how the three migrants came to be stranded on the remains of the dinghy.
The Spanish charity operates in the central Mediterranean, one of the deadliest areas of the sea and favored by people smugglers operating out of Libya.
Charity boats have been locked out of Italian ports, the closest European landing point, since Italy’s new government vowed to crack down on illegal immigration from Northern Africa.
Open Arms found itself at the center of the European immigrant crisis at the start of the month when it rescued 60 migrants off Libya and brought them to Barcelona in Spain after being refused docking in Italy and Malta.