Don’t do business with Iran's Revolutionary Guards, Tillerson warns global firms

1 / 2
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson speaks at the US embassy in Riyadh on Sunday. (REUTERS/Alex Brandon/Pool)
2 / 2
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson poses for photographs with Boy Scouts at the US Embassy in Riyadh on Sunday. (REUTERS/Alex Brandon/Pool)
Updated 23 October 2017
0

Don’t do business with Iran's Revolutionary Guards, Tillerson warns global firms

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia and the US have warned companies not to do business with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
“Both our countries believe those who conduct business with the Revolutionary Guard, any of their entities, European companies or other companies around the world really do so at great risk,” US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said at a joint news conference in Riyadh with the Saudi Foreign Minister, Adel Al-Jubeir.
The US last week announced tough new sanctions against the IRGC because of its support for terrorism, effectively excluding it from the US financial system. Companies doing business with the group also risk penalties.
Al-Jubeir said the two men had discussed the Qatar crisis, along with terrorism and extremism in Syria, Iraq and the Middle East. He said Saudi Arabia and the US held identical views on most issues and their relationship was “age-old and friendly.”
Tillerson also met King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and took part in discussions with members of the newly formed Saudi-Iraq Coordinating Council, which he said would open up wide areas of cooperation between the two countries.
“There will be tremendous economic opportunities in Iraq where Saudi Arabia could participate in accordance with the Saudi Vision 2030,” he said.
Rebuilding Iraq and developing its infrastructure were challenges, he said. The new council would give confidence to the Iraqis, strengthen their independence and help flush out terror from the country.
Tillerson also urged Iran-backed militias in Iraq to withdraw.
“Now that the fight against Daesh is coming to a close, those militias need to go home. The foreign fighters in Iraq need to go home and allow the Iraqi people to regain control,” he said.
After Riyadh, Tillerson’s six-day trip continues in Qatar, Pakistan, India and Switzerland.


Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

Updated 20 April 2018
0

Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

  • Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis
  • The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia

Saudi air defense forces managed to intercept a ballistic missile fired by Houthi militias from Yemen headed in the direction of Saudi Arabia’s border province of Jazan on Friday.

Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis.

Colonel Turki Al-Maliki, the coalition's spokesman, said the missile was monitored by the Saudi Air Force to have been launched from Yemen's Amran province at 10:16 p.m. Monday toward populated areas in the southern Saudi province of Najran.

The missile was intercepted before it could hit its target, Al-Maliki said.

The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia using what it said were Iran-supplied drones.

So far, the Houthis have launched over 100 missiles at Saudi cities and installations.