Egypt recovers 354 antiques seized in Emirates

This picture shows sculptures on display at the Egyptian Museum during the “Night of Art” exhibit in Cairo, Egypt on October 28, 2017. (File photo by AFP)
Updated 05 November 2017
0

Egypt recovers 354 antiques seized in Emirates

CAIRO: Egypt has recovered 354 archaeological objects that were seized by authorities in the United Arab Emirates, the antiquities ministry in Cairo said.
Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al-Qasimi, ruler of the emirate of Sharjah, had ordered the pieces returned to Egypt after police captured them, the ministry said Saturday.
It did not provide any details on where or how the pieces were recovered, or from whom.
Antiquities Minister Khaled El-Enany inspected the pieces at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo on Saturday, it said, adding that they would be placed on display in a “special exhibition.”
The recovered pieces include antiques from the Pharaonic era and some from Islamic times, it said.
Among them are a pottery container carrying the name of Ramses III, who ruled Egypt around 3,000 years ago, and several bronze statues depicting Egyptian gods including Isis and Osiris.
They also include tombstones from the Islamic era.
Egypt, a rich source of archaeological treasures, regularly announces the recovery of stolen artefacts.
It has long campaigned for the return of precious artefacts which it considers stolen and which are housed in European museums, such as the Nefertiti Bust in Berlin.


’Pig’ British tourists to be deported from New Zealand

Updated 16 January 2019
0

’Pig’ British tourists to be deported from New Zealand

  • The family have been involved in a string of incidents in the country, including accusations of littering, assault, not paying for restaurant meals and intimidating behavior
  • "They're worse than pigs and I'd like to see them out of the country," Auckland mayor said

WELLINGTON: Members of a British family have been branded “worse than pigs” and face deportation from New Zealand after a spree of bad behavior that left normally easygoing Kiwis outraged.
The family have been involved in a string of incidents in and around Auckland and Hamilton, including accusations of littering, assault, not paying for restaurant meals and intimidating behavior.
Auckland mayor Phil Goff led national outcry at the tourists’ antics, demanding the police take action. “These guys are trash. They are leeches,” he told a local radio station.
“If you say one time ‘I found a hair or an ant in my meal’ you’d believe it but they find it every meal that they have as a way of evading payment. That’s a criminal activity.
“They’re worse than pigs and I’d like to see them out of the country.”
New Zealand’s assistant general manager of immigration, Peter Devoy, said the family had been issued with a deportation notice on the grounds of “matters relating to character.”
One 26-year-old member of the family on Wednesday pleaded guilty to stealing NZ$55 ($37) worth of goods from a petrol station.
The family attracted extensive media coverage in New Zealand after a video showed them leaving beer boxes, bottles and other rubbish strewn on a popular beach.
When a woman asked them to clean up their litter, a child in the group can be seen on video threatening he would “knock your brains out.”
Stuff Media reported that one family member hit a journalist with her shoe after being approached for comment.
A member of the family told the New Zealand Herald they have now decided to cut short their holiday and will return home this week.
John Johnson insisted his family were of good stock, claimed his grandfather was the “10th richest man in England” and said he was made to feel “very unwelcome” in New Zealand.