Saudi security officer gunned down in Qatif

Lt. Col. Fahd Al-Kathiri
Updated 14 November 2017

Saudi security officer gunned down in Qatif

QATIF: Saudi security officer Lt. Col. Fahd Al-Kathiri was shot dead on Sunday as he participated in a raid on terrorists in Tarout Island in the governorate of Qatif. Al-Kathiri was a member of the Interior Ministry’s Emergency Force.
“Al-Kathiri was shot while performing his duty and died while being rushed to the hospital,” said Maj. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki, Interior Ministry spokesman, adding that the concerned authorities have started investigating the incident.
Al-Kathiri’s death comes just days after Abdullah Al-Qahtani, a private in the Emergency Force, was shot and killed in Qatif.
In a video tribute, Al-Kathiri’s father said he was proud of his son “because, like the rest of his comrades who died to ensure this country’s safety and security, he died defending his country and its civilians. May God have mercy on my son.”


2 more Houthi drones shot down by Saudi-led Coalition forces

Updated 34 min 29 sec ago

2 more Houthi drones shot down by Saudi-led Coalition forces

  • Three drones, six ballistic missiles launched toward Saudi Arabia by Houthis in a span of 24 hours
  • All six missiles and three drones were shot down by Coalition air defenses

JEDDAH: Two more drones launched by Houthi "terrorists" from Sanaa toward Saudi Arabia were shot down early Monday, the ninth hit in a span of 24 hours, Coalition forces supporting Yemen's legitimate government said .

In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), coalition spokesman Colonel Turki Al-Maliki said the two drones were intercepted and shot down in Yemeni airspace by Saudi-led air defense forces.

On Sunday evening, six ballistic missiles fired from Yemen were also intercepted by the coalition as they headed towards Jazan in south-west Saudi Arabia.

Al-Maliki said the missiles were launched by Houthis from Saada province "in an attempt to target civilian and civilian installations in Jazan city.” 

Earlier on Sunday, the coalition shot down a Houthi drone targeting the Saudi city of Khamis Mushayt, state news agency SPA reported.

The drone attack targeting Khamis Mushayt, state was the second on the city in recent days. 

Earlier this month, 10 drones attacked the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction plant in Saudi Arabia near the UAE border. The attack caused no injuries and did not disrupt operations, Saudi Arabia said.

Al-Maliki said the attacks reflect the size of the Houthi’s losses on the battlefield in Yemen as a result “of the continuing military operations deep inside Saada governorate.”

"All attempts by the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia to launch drones are doomed to fail and the coalition takes all operational procedures and best practices of engagement rules to deal with these drones to protect civilians," Al-Maliki said.