Ankara seeks extradition from Germany of ’top coup fugitive’

Adil Oksuz. (Courtesy: karabukderinhaber)
Updated 22 November 2017
0

Ankara seeks extradition from Germany of ’top coup fugitive’

ISTANBUL: Turkey is to ask German authorities to extradite a top suspect in last year’s failed coup who still remains at large, state media said on Tuesday.
A request for Adil Oksuz to be extradited from Germany has been prepared following a demand from an Ankara criminal court, the Anadolu news agency said.
Berlin has never confirmed if Oksuz is in the country, but Turkey in August asked the German government to formally investigate reported sightings of him.
Ankara blames the doomed July 15, 2016, coup attempt to oust President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on US-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gulen, and has implemented a ruthless crackdown on his suspected supporters.
Turkey has pressed Washington — so far without success — to extradite Gulen, who denies the allegations, from his Pennsylvania compound to face trial in Turkey.
But the second most wanted suspect is Oksuz, a theology lecturer whom Turkish officials accuse of being the so-called “imam” of the plot by coordinating actions on the ground in Turkey with Gulen.
Oksuz was detained in Turkey after the coup was quashed, but was subsequently released — allegedly because the judge was pro-Gulen — and is now on the run.
The extradition request relates to the mass trial of 486 people, including Oksuz, over events at the Akinci air base outside Ankara, seen as the hub of the failed putsch, on the night of the coup plot.
If the presence of Oksuz in Germany is confirmed, it would add yet another bone of contention in increasingly troubled relations between Ankara and Berlin.


Libya loses 400,000 barrels of storage capacity due to militant attacks

Updated 19 June 2018
0

Libya loses 400,000 barrels of storage capacity due to militant attacks

LONDON: Libya’s National Oil Corporation (NOC) said that at least 400,000 barrels of storage capacity has been lost within the past few days due to militant attacks on Ras Lanuf and Al-Sidra.
The NOC announced Monday that it has suffered “catastrophic losses” when two storage tanks were destroyed during fierce clashes in its oil crescent, northeast of the country.
Armed groups on Thursday attacked the Ras Lanuf and Al-Sidra terminals held by Haftar’s forces around 650 kilometers (400 miles) east of Tripoli.
Haftar led a “major offensive” on Sunday following the attacks to drive rival groups from the country’s northeastern oil crescent.
NOC chief Mustafa Sonallah warned in statements carried by Reuters that if oil exports from these terminals remain at a standstill it could cause a “national disaster.”
The oil firm warned on Friday that output could fall by up to 400,000 barrels per day if the export shutdown continues.