KSRelief launches 2nd phase of program to rehabilitate Yemen’s child soldiers

KSRelief workers distribute food baskets for displaced people at a refugee center in Yemen on Nov. 29, 2017. (SPA)
Updated 04 December 2017
0

KSRelief launches 2nd phase of program to rehabilitate Yemen’s child soldiers

RIYADH: Forty children from Taiz in Yemen and Amman, Jordan, recruited by Houthi militias to become child soldiers, are undergoing rehabilitation as part of the second stage of the Child Soldiers Rehabilitation Project.
During the first stage of the program, the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Centre (KSRelief) also provided rehabilitative services to another 40 children, including those from Marib, Yemen, and Al-Jawf in Libya. “They will receive psychological, social, cultural and sports services and activities for a period of one month,” KSRelief said on its website.
The child soldiers, who were illegally recruited by Houthi militias to fight in the ongoing conflict, are being rehabilitated at the Community Rehabilitation Center in Marib.
The initiative, called Child Soldiers Rehabilitation Project, is described as “a qualitative program and a major achievement in the country’s crisis.”
KSRelief added that the children will also receive educational assistance to help them re-enter school and continue their disrupted studies.
It said relatives will also take part in programs to help children reintegrate into their respective families and communities.
Concerned families expressed their appreciation for KSRelief’s initiatives “to address the overall plight of the children who are used as pawns in armed conflicts.”
KSRelief added that various services had been given to more than 2,000 child soldiers in Yemen so that they could recover from their ordeals. Since 2015, KSRelief has spent more than $262 million on child development programs through 116 projects.
Earlier, Abdullah Al-Rwaily, KSRelief’s director of community support services, told Arab News that the center had organized rehabilitation for about 20,000 child soldiers in Yemen.
He said that there were four training centers where these children were being rehabilitated.
He also called for the participation of non-governmental organizations in the programs, warning that without such aid the situation could become similar to that in Afghanistan.


Investigation into alleged mistakes in Yemen find coalition forces acted properly

Updated 17 January 2019
0

Investigation into alleged mistakes in Yemen find coalition forces acted properly

JEDDAH: The Joint Incident Assessment Team in Yemen (JIAT) has investigated four allegations made by international governmental and non-governmental organizations and media about mistakes made by coalition forces while carrying out military operations inside Yemen.
JIAT spokesman Mansour Al-Mansour said that the team concluded that the procedures followed by the coalition forces were proper and safe, taking into consideration the rules of engagement, international humanitarian law and the coalition’s own rules.
Team members visited a number of cities in Yemen, including Aden, Lahj and Khor Maksar, during the investigation and spoke to witnesses, victims and their families to gather evidence and establish the facts.
In one of the incidents that was investigated, coalition warship fired on and destroyed a craft in the waters off the Yemeni port of Al-Khokha in September. Al-Mansour said that after examining documents and evidence JIAT had concluded that an alliance ship was escorting and protecting a flotilla of three Saudi merchant ships when, in an area off the port of Al-Khokha, a boat was spotted approaching the convoy at a high speed from the direction of the Yemeni coast.
The escort ship followed the accepted rules of engagement by repeatedly warning the unidentified vessel, using loudspeakers, not to come any closer. When these went unheeded, warning shots were fired but the boat continued to approach.
“On reaching an area that represented a threat to the convoy, the protection ship tackled the boat according to the rules of engagement and targeted it, resulting in an explosion on the boat,” said Al-Mansour. “The protection ship continued escorting the convoy. After the escort task was completed, the protection ship returned to the site of the targeted boat to carry out a search-and-rescue operation for the crew of the target boat but no one was found.”