Pakistani and Saudi Arabian special forces in counter-terrorism training

1 / 5
Troops take part in Al-Shehab 2 counter terrorism training exercise
2 / 5
Troops take part in Al-Shehab 2 counter terrorism training exercise
3 / 5
Troops take part in Al-Shehab 2 counter terrorism training exercise
4 / 5
Troops take part in Al-Shehab 2 counter terrorism training exercise
5 / 5
Troops take part in Al-Shehab 2 counter terrorism training exercise
Updated 05 December 2017
0

Pakistani and Saudi Arabian special forces in counter-terrorism training

ISLAMABAD: Special forces from Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are taking part in a joint military exercise. They have been engaged in the training since Nov. 25 in a joint counter terrorism training program at the Prince Naif Security City in Riyadh, a Pakistan military press release revealed.

The joint exercise, “Al-Shehab 2,” in which special forces of both countries are participating, is a two week long program that runs until Dec. 10, said the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR), the army’s media wing.

The Pakistani contingent of 68 officers and soldiers of the country’s elite Special Services Group (SSG) are training alongside Saudi Arabia’s finest military troops and officers.

The Pak-Saudi exercise is a follow up to “Al-Shehab 1,” held last year in Pakistan. It is focused on learning from each other’s fighting forces’ experiences in the field of counter terrorism and to strengthen bilateral cooperation to benefit both nations.

“Such exercises have more of symbolic value rather than any operational significance,” retired Brigadier Saad Muhammad told Arab News.

He said both countries enjoyed good relations in many areas apart from religion.

The retired army officer added: “It conveys a message that the two countries are close allies and in case either of the two countries faces any security threat, they will come to each other’s help. The exercise will ease joint operations should the need arise.”


Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

Updated 20 April 2018
0

Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

  • Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis
  • The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia

Saudi air defense forces managed to intercept a ballistic missile fired by Houthi militias from Yemen headed in the direction of Saudi Arabia’s border province of Jazan on Friday.

Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis.

Colonel Turki Al-Maliki, the coalition's spokesman, said the missile was monitored by the Saudi Air Force to have been launched from Yemen's Amran province at 10:16 p.m. Monday toward populated areas in the southern Saudi province of Najran.

The missile was intercepted before it could hit its target, Al-Maliki said.

The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia using what it said were Iran-supplied drones.

So far, the Houthis have launched over 100 missiles at Saudi cities and installations.