Saudi air defense intercepts ballistic missile over Najran

1 / 3
Fragments of the missile seen on the ground. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
2 / 3
The scattered fragments of the missile caused minor damage on the ground. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
3 / 3
The Royal Saudi Air Defense forces intercepted the missile. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Updated 06 January 2018
0

Saudi air defense intercepts ballistic missile over Najran

DUBAI: Royal Saudi Air Defense forces intercepted a ballistic missile on Friday over the southern province of Najran, bordering Yemen.
The foiled attack took place shortly after Houthi affiliated news channel Al-Masirah TV published a statement stating that the militias had fired a missile at Saudi Arabia.
“This hostile act by the Iran-backed Houthis proves the Iranian regime remains implicated in supporting the armed Houthis,” spokesman of the Arab Coalition, Col. Turki Al-Malki said.
Debris at the scene. (Asharq Al-Awsat)


Maliki said Friday’s attack “deliberately targeted densely populated civilian areas.”
The scattered fragments of the missile caused minor damage to private property of one citizen, however there was no loss of life, Saudi Arabia’s state news agency SPA reported.
Meanwhile last year, the Iran-backed Houthi militias in Yemen intensified their attempts on Saudi Arabia, targeting several civilian areas in the kingdom.
Last month, Houthi militias fired a ballistic missile at Riyadh, this time targeting Al-Yamamah Royal Palace in the Saudi capital.
While in Nov. the militias launched a missile targeting King Khalid International Airport. Saudi air defense intercepted the missile and shot it down without causing any damage. 
A UN Security Council-appointed panel confirmed the missile was manufactured in Iran, along with three other missiles fired from Yemen toward the Kingdom in 2017.
Houthi aggression towards Saudi Arabia caused a global outcray with a number of countries and organizations condemning the launch of ballistic missiles targeting the kingdom.
 


Saudi communications minister receives youngest Saudi female journalist

Updated 19 July 2018
0

Saudi communications minister receives youngest Saudi female journalist

RIYADH: Saudi Minister of Communications and Information Technology, Abdullah Al-Sawah stressed the Kingdom's need to discover and support local talent.
He said that the ministry has paid increasing attention to technical talents, which has been represented through the organization of several events, the latest of which was the "Hackathon Digital Machines."
The event was aimed at creating a conducive environment to develop the capabilities of the digital youth and invest in their creative potential to maximize returns.
Al-Sawah noted that the event also aimed at "harnessing their abilities to develop the digital transformation process," calling for intensified and unified efforts in order to invest in Saudi talents for the benefit of the nation.
The minister was speaking during a meeting with Marian Taher Saleh, the youngest Saudi female journalist, alongside with her father.
Al-Sawah praised the role of her family, who have been supporting her from the beginning till she was able to enter the media field, expressing his appreciation for her media achievements.
For his part, Saleh's father expressed his gratitude and appreciation to the minister for his hospitality, appreciation and encouragement for his daughter.