Saudi Arabia intercepts ballistic missile launched by Houthi militia from Yemen

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir with his Belgian counterpart Didier Reynders. (SPA)
Updated 16 January 2018
0

Saudi Arabia intercepts ballistic missile launched by Houthi militia from Yemen

JEDDAH/BRUSSELS: Saudi air defense forces announced on Tuesday that they intercepted a ballistic missile, launched by Yemen’s Houthi militias, over Jazan at around 8:20 p.m.
It comes after Saudi forces intercepted another ballistic missile fired by the Houthis over the southern province of Najran, bordering Yemen last week.
Meanwhile, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir said Tuesday that Iran was the biggest source of danger in the region because of its role in Lebanon, Yemen and Syria.
Iran supplied the Houthi militias with missiles that targeted Saudi Arabia, he told the media alongside his Belgian counterpart Didier Renders at a press conference in the Belgian capital, Brussels.
“The nuclear deal with Iran needs improvement to prevent Tehran from enriching uranium,” Al-Jubeir added.
Commenting on Al-Jubeir’s statement, Renders said: “the nuclear agreement with Iran is still optimal and its implementation is important,” adding that “we will discuss with Iran the issue of ballistic missiles and wars in the region.” 
A UN experts’ report seen by AFP said on Jan. 12 that Iran has violated a UN arms embargo by failing to block supplies to the Houthis of ballistic missiles that were fired at Saudi Arabia.


Saudi Arabia says UN Khashoggi report contains ‘baseless allegations’ and ‘contradictions’

Updated 33 min 6 sec ago
0

Saudi Arabia says UN Khashoggi report contains ‘baseless allegations’ and ‘contradictions’

  • Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel Al-Jubeir said the report contained 'nothing new.'
  • Saudi Arabia late indicted 11 people for the killing and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against five of them

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia said Wednesday that a report by a UN expert on the murder of Jamal Khashoggi contains “baseless allegations” and “contradictions.”

Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel Al-Jubeir said the report contained “nothing new.”

He said the judicial authorities in the Kingdom are the only ones competent to investigate the case and that a number of suspects have already been arrested.

The report “contains clear contradictions and baseless allegations which challenge its credibility,” he said on Twitter.

“We strongly reject any attempt to prejudice the Kingdom’s leadership or to remove the case from the course of justice in the Kingdom or influencing it in any way.”

The report released Wednesday by UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, Agnes Callamard, said the murder of Khashoggi was the responsibility of the state of Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia late last year indicted 11 people for the killing and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against five of them.

Saudi prosecutors said Khashoggi was killed by a “rogue operation” in a botched attempt to repatriate him. 

Al-Jubeir said the trials are being attended by representatives from the embassies of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council in addition to Turkey and Saudi human rights organizations.