Houthis fire rockets at Yemen military parade in ‘assassination attempt’ on minister

Yemeni security officials say Houthi rebels fired Katyusha rockets on a military parade near the central city of Taiz. (Supplied)
Updated 22 January 2018
0

Houthis fire rockets at Yemen military parade in ‘assassination attempt’ on minister

LONDON: Yemeni security officials say Houthi rebels fired Katyusha rockets on a military parade near the central city of Taiz, killing four civilians including a local journalist, in an apparent assassination attempt on the interior minister and his deputy.
The officials spoke about Monday’s attack on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief reporters, AP reported.
Radwan Shamsan, a member of Rasd Coaltion, a Yemeni group that monitors human rights violations in Taiz, told Arab News that the rockets were fired at the Al-Khiami area in Al-Ma’afer district.
An unnamed boy being treated at Khalifa hospital in Al-Turbah. (Supplied)
An unnamed boy being treated at Khalifa hospital in Al-Turbah. (Supplied)

“There was a military festival for private security forces, but the bombing came after it ended,” Shamsan said, adding that at least 15 civilians were killed and the injured were taken to Khalifa hospital in Al-Turbah when four rockets were fired.
According to Shamsan, many of the injured were women and children, with a second journalist also among the injured, whilst the journalist who was killed was identified as Mohammed Al-Qadasi — a photographer for local news channel Belqees TV.
 
The broken camera lense of Mohammed Al-Qadasi. (Supplied)
Omar Al-Bothaigi said he was in his car with his friend, approximately two meters away from the gate of the military camp, talking to an officer and a journalist who were standing next to his car when the rocket hit.
Al-Bothaigi explained that shrapnel was lodged into his skull behind his ear after the blast. He was later taken to hospital for an MRI scan.
“Unfortunately the officer died and the journalist is in the intensive care unit,” Al-Bothaigi said.
Omar Al-Bothaigi said he was in his car with his friend, approximately two meters away from the gate of the military camp. (Supplied)


Migrant charity files manslaughter complaint against cargo ship, Libya

Updated 21 July 2018
0

Migrant charity files manslaughter complaint against cargo ship, Libya

  • The migrant rescue boat Open Arms docked in Spain on Saturday carrying the bodies of a woman and a four-year-old boy
  • Open Arms claimed the ship’s crew had seen the migrant dingy but had failed to provide help

PALMA DE MALLORCA: The charity Proactiva Open Arms has filed a complaint, including of involuntary manslaughter, with the Spanish police against a cargo ship for failing to help migrants adrift on a destroyed dinghy in the Mediterranean.
The captain of the charity’s rescue boat said on Saturday he also plans to file a separate suit against the Libyan lifeguard.
The migrant rescue boat Open Arms docked in Spain on Saturday carrying the bodies of a woman and a four-year-old boy as well as one woman who was found alive floating on the remains of a dinghy off the coast of Libya last week.
The boat took four days to arrive in the Spanish port of Palma after finding the migrants adrift about 80 miles (130 km)off Libya’s coast after being abandoned by the Libyan coast guard, the charity said.
“We have filed a complaint against the captain of the (merchant ship) Triades for failing to help and for involuntary manslaughter and we’ll also do it against the captain of the Libyan patrol,” Oscar Camps, the Open Arms captain and founder of the NGO, said at a news conference.
Open Arms claimed the ship’s crew had seen the migrant dingy but had failed to provide help. Reuters could not find a way to contact the captain of Triades, which flies a Panamanian flag. The ship is currently moored in the Libyan port of Misrata, where officials could not be reached for comment.
The Libyan lifeguard also left the three migrants to float amid the shattered remains of the raft after the two women and the boy had refused to board their patrol ship, the charity said.
Libya’s coast guard disputed the account on Tuesday but offered no explanation for how the three migrants came to be stranded on the remains of the dinghy.
The Spanish charity operates in the central Mediterranean, one of the deadliest areas of the sea and favored by people smugglers operating out of Libya.
Charity boats have been locked out of Italian ports, the closest European landing point, since Italy’s new government vowed to crack down on illegal immigration from Northern Africa.
Open Arms found itself at the center of the European immigrant crisis at the start of the month when it rescued 60 migrants off Libya and brought them to Barcelona in Spain after being refused docking in Italy and Malta.