Saudi foreign minister slams Iran’s ‘vision of darkness’ across region

The panel discussion at Davos. (WEF)
Updated 24 January 2018
0

Saudi foreign minister slams Iran’s ‘vision of darkness’ across region

LONDON: Iran’s alleged backing of sectarian conflict and terror is destabilizing the Middle East, with Tehran promoting a “vision of darkness” in the region, the World Economic Forum heard Wednesday.
Three Gulf foreign ministers took part in a panel entitled “Finding a New Equilibrium in the Middle East” at the forum in Davos, Switzerland.
Adel Al-Jubeir, the Saudi foreign minister, was joined on stage by his UAE and Bahraini counterparts, Anwar Gargash and Sheikh Khalid bin Ahmed Al-Khalifa.
“In the Middle East, we have two competing visions: We have a vision of light … and we have a vision of darkness,” Al-Jubeir told the forum.
“The vision of darkness is sectarianism, it’s trying to restore an empire that was destroyed thousands of years ago, it’s using sectarianism and terrorism in order to interfere in the affairs of other countries so that you can promote this revolution and this imperialistic expansion, even at the cost of the wellbeing of your own people.”
Earlier he said the main challenges in the Middle East were sectarianism, extremism and unaccountable government.
Al-Jubeir said: “The solution is to make government more accountable … providing opportunities for our youth, so they can realize their hopes, dreams and ambitions, and you do that by opening up your society, by opening up areas for domestic and foreign investment, streamlining accreditation, making it simpler to operate and start companies.”
Asked by a member of the audience about KSA’s strategy in dealing with Iran, and its role in Yemen and Lebanon, Al-Jubeir said the Khomeini revolution launched a sectarian wave in the Middle East that provoked a Sunni reaction, and created extremists among the Sunnis in response. 
“The Iranians sought to export the revolution, as it does not recognize citizenship. They believe every Shiite belongs to Iran; this is not acceptable,” he said. 
Al-Jubeir added: “We tried to engage with Iran for 25 years and all we got was death and destruction in return. Our diplomats were assassinated, our embassies blown up, terrorist acts committed in our country. They recruited our citizens to cause damage in our country and outside. 
“So when you try to weaken Hezbollah in Lebanon, that is a positive. Someone has to roll back their influence so Lebanon can become a normal country,” he said.
Referring to Yemen, he said the Kingdom responded to a coup that Houthis staged which destroyed Yemen’s path toward normalization. He said Saudi Arabia was preventing a takeover of Yemen by a radical Iranian/Hezbollah-affiliated militia. “We do not want Hezbollah in Yemen. The Houthis are 50,000 people, they cannot dominate a country of 28 million.”
A member of the audience asked Al-Jubeir whether he thought the practice of guardianship would end in Saudi Arabia. He replied: “Our country cannot move forward if we only avail ourselves of 50 percent of our population.”
He recalled that in 1960, Saudi Arabia had no schools for women, but today 55 percent of college students were women. 
“In 1960, there were no professions open for women; now in the professions and business some of the top people are women,” he said. 
Women could vote and 50 percent of of the Kingdom’s consultative council were women. The ban on women driving had been lifted as well as restrictions on entertainment, he added.
“We have to include everybody. This is the objective of our 2030 vision. We want to increase by many times the participation rate of women in the workforce,” said Al-Jubeir.
WATCH THE EVENT BELOW:


Israel gives Bedouin villagers until end of month to leave

Updated 23 September 2018
0

Israel gives Bedouin villagers until end of month to leave

  • Israel’s supreme court on September 5 rejected appeals against demolition, allowing authorities to move ahead
  • ‘No one will leave. We will have to be expelled by force’

JERUSALEM: Israeli authorities issued a notice to residents of a Bedouin village in a strategic spot in the occupied West Bank on Sunday informing them they have until the end of the month to leave.
The fate of Khan Al-Ahmar has drawn international concern, with European countries calling on Israel not to move ahead with plans to demolish it.
Israel’s supreme court on September 5 rejected appeals against demolition, allowing authorities to move ahead.
Israel says the village was built without the proper permits, though it is extremely difficult for Palestinians to receive such permission in that part of the West Bank.
The notice given to the some 200 residents of Khan Al-Ahmar on Sunday says they have until the end of the month to demolish the village themselves.
“Pursuant to a supreme court ruling, residents of Khan Al-Ahmar received a notice today requiring them to demolish all the structures on the site by October 1st, 2018,” a statement from the Israeli defense ministry unit that oversees civilian affairs in the West Bank said.
It did not say what will happen if they refuse to do so. Village residents vowed not to leave despite the notice.
“No one will leave. We will have to be expelled by force,” said village spokesman Eid Abu Khamis, adding that a residents’ meeting would be held later on the issue.
“If the Israeli army comes to demolish, it will only be by force.”
The village is located in a strategic spot east of Jerusalem, near Israeli settlements and along a road leading to the Dead Sea.
There have been warnings that continued settlement building in the area would eventually divide the West Bank in two, dealing a death blow to any remaining hopes of a two-state solution.
Israeli authorities have offered alternative sites for Khan Al-Ahmar residents, but villagers say the first was near a rubbish dump and the latest close to a sewage treatment plant.