Egypt’s El-Sisi meets Oman's Qaboos to bolster ties, will visit UAE after Oman trip

A handout picture released by the official photographer to Omani deputy prime minister shows Oman's Sultan Qaboos bin Said (R) meeting with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi in Muscat on February 4, 2018. RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO / THE OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER TO OMANI DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER FAHD BIN MAHMUD AL-SAID" - NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS - DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS / AFP / Official Photographer to Omani Deputy Prime Minister Fahd Bin Mahmud Al-Said / Handout AND Handout / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO / THE OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER TO OMANI DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER FAHD BIN MAHMUD AL-SAID" - NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS - DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS
Updated 04 February 2018
0

Egypt’s El-Sisi meets Oman's Qaboos to bolster ties, will visit UAE after Oman trip

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi visited Oman on Sunday to meet with Sultan Qaboos Bin Said and discuss regional issues and bilateral interests.
On his first official visit to the Gulf country, the Egyptian president aims to to intensify joint consultation and coordination in several bilateral and regional issues to serve the interests of the two countries, presidential spokesperson Bassam Rady said in a statement.
The visit is also the first by an Egyptian president since 2009.
After wrapping up his visit to Oman, El-Sisi will embark on an official three day trip to the UAE capital Abu Dhabi.
He will hold talks with the UAE's crown prince Mohamed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan on strengthening bilateral relations, Rady added.


Tripoli hit by air strikes, explosions as Libyan conflict surges

Updated 14 min 23 sec ago
0

Tripoli hit by air strikes, explosions as Libyan conflict surges

  • It was not clear whether an aircraft or unmanned drone was behind the strike
  • Western powers have been divided over a push by Khalifa Haftar’s forces to seize Tripol

TRIPOLI: Several air strikes and explosions shook the Libyan capital Tripoli overnight, residents said, in an escalation of a two-week offensive by eastern forces on the city held by the internationally recognized government.
A Reuters reporter and several residents said they saw an aircraft circling for more than 10 minutes over the capital late on Saturday, and that it made a humming sound before opening fire on several areas.
An aircraft was heard again after midnight, circling for more than ten minutes before a heavy explosion shook the ground.
It was not clear whether an aircraft or unmanned drone was behind the strike, which triggered heavy anti-aircraft fire. Residents had reported drone strikes in recent days, but there has been no confirmation and explosions heard in the city center this time were louder than in previous days.
Residents counted several missile strikes, one of which apparently hit a military camp of forces loyal to Tripoli in the Sabaa district in the south of the capital, scene of the heaviest fighting between the rival forces.
Authorities closed Tripoli’s only functioning airport, cutting air links to a city of an estimated 2.5 million residents. The airport in Misrata, a city 200 km to the east, remained open.
The Libyan National Army (LNA) force loyal to commander Khalifa Haftar started an offensive two weeks ago but has been unable to breach the government’s southern defenses.
If a drone strike was confirmed this would point to more sophisticated warfare. The LNA has so far mainly used aging Soviet-made jets from the air force of Muammar Qaddafi, toppled in 2011, lacking precision firepower and helicopters, according to residents and military sources.
The violence spiked after the White House said on Friday that US President Donald Trump spoke by telephone with Haftar earlier in the week.
The disclosure of the call and a US statement that it “recognized Field Marshal Haftar’s significant role in fighting terrorism and securing Libya’s oil resources” has boosted the commander’s supporters and enraged his opponents.
Western powers have been divided over a push by Haftar’s forces to seize Tripoli, undermining calls by the United Nations for a cease-fire.
Both sides claimed progress in southern Tripoli on Saturday, but no more details were immediately available.
A Reuters TV cameraman visiting the southern Khalat Furgan suburb heard heavy shelling but saw no apparent change in the frontline.
On Friday, two children were killed in shelling in southern Tripoli, residents said. The fighting has killed 227 people and wounded 1,128, the World Health organization said before the air strikes.
On Thursday, both the United States and Russia said they could not support a UN Security Council resolution calling for a cease-fire in Libya at this time.
Russia objects to the British-drafted resolution blaming Haftar for the latest flare-up in violence when his LNA advanced to the outskirts of Tripoli earlier this month, diplomats said.
The United States did not give a reason for its decision not to support the draft resolution, which would also call on countries with influence over the warring parties to ensure compliance and for unconditional humanitarian aid access in Libya.