Dubai Ruler Sheikh Mohammed launches ‘Hope Maker’ award

Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid has announced the return of the Arab Hope Makers award. (Reuters)
Updated 25 February 2018
0

Dubai Ruler Sheikh Mohammed launches ‘Hope Maker’ award

CAIRO: Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, announced on his Twitter account the return of the Arab Hope Makers award.
The initiative, launched for the second year in a row, entitles participants from the Arab world to win the position of a “Hope Maker,” a job post with a salary of $272,000, or one million dirhams.
The award is dedicated to honoring people who spread hope and encompass the values of giving and optimism, by dedicating their lives to helping others. It is meant to help the winner continue their efforts.
Sheikh Mohammed announced on Saturday the second round of the award, by tweeting: “The Arab Hope Makers are also the makers of our civilization and our future. Every person has the spirit of giving inside them, and the ability to contribute positively to our society; this is our Arab world’s civilizational mission.”
“There are thousands of people who work silently and tirelessly to help others — these are the true heroes who deserve to be honored. We will take these people’s extraordinary stories, and continue to fight despair and pessimism with their spirit of positive change.”
Those with humanitarian, volunteer experience or work on community-based projects, anywhere in the Arab world, are eligible to apply to become the next Arab Hope Maker. Their age doesn’t matter, applicants must perfect the language of giving, both spoken and written.
Nawal Al Soufi from Morocco was named the Arab ‘Hope Maker’ in last year’s edition, for saving the lives of 200,000 refugees.


Iraq must not be dragged into another regional war: president

Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May shakes hands with Iraq’s President Barham Salih in London, Britain June 25, 2019. (The Presidency of the Republic of Iraq Office/Reuters)
Updated 52 min 4 sec ago
0

Iraq must not be dragged into another regional war: president

  • ‘We cannot afford our country to be dragged into conflict’
  • Saleh said Baghdad’s priority was ‘stability’

LONDON: Iraqi President Barham Salih said Wednesday his country must not be dragged into another conflict in the Middle East, as tensions rise over its neighbor Iran.
“We have had four decades of challenge and turmoil. We do not want to be embroiled in another war,” he said at Chatham House, the Royal Institute of International Affairs think-tank in London.
“We cannot afford our country to be dragged into conflict.”
With tensions high between Iran and the United States, Salih insisted his country would not become “a staging post for belligerents.”
“We are asking everybody to cool it down... enough is enough,” he said.
“We do not want to be a victim of a conflict in Middle East. We have not finished the last one,” the Iraqi president added, referring to the US-led war on terror and battle against Daesh.
“It is in our national interests to have good relationship with Iran,” he said, whilst adding: “The US is a very important partner for Iraq.”
Salih, who took office in October, said Baghdad’s priority was “stability.”
“We need to transform Iraq from a zone of regional and proxy conflict into a zone of trade, infrastructure development, and jobs and a future for young people,” the 58-year-old said.
Salih visited British Prime Minister Theresa May on Tuesday for talks on security cooperation and nation-building.
May said Britain “stood ready to provide further support” to the Iraqi and Kurdish security forces, her Downing Street office said.