Media under official scrutiny ahead of Egypt poll
Media under official scrutiny ahead of Egypt poll
The president, addressing media, warned on Thursday against “defamation” of security forces, a day after his prosecution warned it would take legal action against “false news.”
Egypt ranks 161 out of 180 countries in press freedoms according to watchdog Reporters Without Borders’ 2017 Press Freedoms Index.
The government’s warnings to media are not new.
Sissi, a former army chief elected as president in 2014 a year after toppling his Islamist predecessor following mass protests, had previously asked the media to exercise caution in criticizing officials.
But in recent months, authorities have blocked about 500 websites, including media outlets like Al-Jazeera and the local Mada Masr, while journalists have been arrested.
A reporter for the Huffington Post’s Arabic website was detained last month after publishing an interview with prominent dissident Hisham Geneina who mentioned the existence of documents that are damaging to senior state officials.
At least 29 journalists are in detention, according to Reporters Without Borders, including some accused of working for media affiliated with the banned Muslim Brotherhood group.
Some of the restrictions are unprecedented.
“Egypt has never seen an (Internet) blockage since the start of the Internet,” said Mohamed Taher, a researcher with the Association for Freedom of Thought and Expression in Egypt.
Authorities did cut off the Internet for a day in 2011 as they tried to stifle an uprising that ousted strongman Hosni Mubarak, but did not seek to permanently ban scores of websites.
The government has not confirmed or denied its role in the blackout, but Taher said Internet providers do not block websites without a request from authorities.
For some outlets, the measure has impacted their operations. One site, Masr Al-Arabia, had to reduce staff by 60 percent, according to Adel Sabry, an editor.
“Many sources refuse to speak to a blocked website,” he added.
The government has also increased criticism of foreign media, which had been a frequent target of attacks by politicians over the years.
It often accuses foreign journalists of biased coverage of the country, especially when it comes to human rights abuses.
The government’s State Information Service called for an official boycott of the BBC last week after a report on abuses in which a woman claimed her daughter had been forcibly disappeared by security.
The daughter later appeared in an interview on a local television station, saying she had run away, married and had a child. The BBC said it stood by the “integrity” of its reporters.
The report appears to have prompted the prosecution statement saying its lawyers would take action against outlets that publish “false news” and “news and rumors that harm public safety.”
Much of the domestic media is seen as generally pliant, and criticism of Sissi is rare.
“There is no direct instruction or censorship, but (journalists) censor themselves” out of fear or opportunism, said a journalist who works for a large private channel, and requested anonymity.
Rights activists say the authorities have become more restrictive in general, showing little tolerance for dissent.
In the run up to the poll, Sissi’s would be rivals have been sidelined or withdrawn from the race, saying it would not be a fair election.
One of them, former armed forces chief of staff Sami Annan, was detained shortly after announcing his candidacy.
The military accused him of illegally standing in an election while still a registered reserve officer.
Arab News launches ‘Road to 2030’ section to track Saudi Arabia’s bold reforms
- Section to provide news, opinion and analysis on country’s transformation
- Newspaper’s National Day coverage looks ahead to Kingdom’s high-tech future
RIYADH: Arab News, the Middle East’s leading English-language daily, today announces the launch of a digital service to track and explain the ambitious reforms underway in Saudi Arabia.
Announced on the eve of Saudi National Day, the new “Road to 2030” section will include the latest news, analysis and opinion around the reforms and transformation underway in the Kingdom.
Hosted on the paper’s website, the section — www.arabnews.com/road2030 — is named after the Vision 2030 program unveiled in 2016 by HRH Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who is the Kingdom’s heir to the throne.
It coincides with Arab News’ special coverage of Saudi National Day, which marks the formation of the Kingdom on Sept. 23, 1932.
The theme of the souvenir edition, published on Sunday, will be around the future of the Kingdom — and how the country will look as the 2030 reforms continue to take shape.
The edition of the newspaper features a unique wrap-around cover illustrating how the country could look in 12 years’ time, as well as a timeline about the reforms and articles about their progress and young people’s views on the future of Saudi Arabia.
“We decided to not to limit our Saudi National Day to celebrating the Kingdom’s past — but to also look ahead to its bright and promising future under the ambitious Vision 2030 plan,” said Faisal J. Abbas, Editor-in-Chief of Arab News.
“This is reflected via the newspaper’s commissioned cover artwork, which imagines Saudi Arabia in 12 years’ time, as well as the stories by our promising team of young Saudi journalists and contributors.
“We are also proud to launch the Road to 2030 section, which will track the changes underway in the Kingdom and be a reference for observers, visitors and investors in Saudi Arabia.”
Arab News is part of the regional publishing giant Saudi Research and Marketing Group (SRMG). It has been the English newspaper of record for Saudi Arabia and the region for over 40 years.