Search form

Last updated: 2 min 56 sec ago

You are here


Daesh kitchen bomb attack kills 7 in Yemen

The blast hit an army mess hall in the port city of Aden. (AFP)
ADEN: Seven people were killed in Yemen’s port city of Aden on Tuesday when a car bomb ripped through a military kitchen used by Yemeni forces trained and backed by the UAE, medics said.
One of the dead was a young boy walking in the street at the time of the blast, they said. Fifteen people were wounded.
Witnesses said the blast was caused by a car laden with explosives, apparently driven by a suicide bomber toward the kitchen in Al-Derain area in northern Aden. The force of the blast damaged stores and cars nearby.
Daesh claimed responsibility for the attack, the second of its kind targeting security forces in the city, where UAE forces from the Arab coalition that has been operating in Yemen since 2015 hold sway. The coalition, armed and backed by the West, joined the Yemen conflict in March 2015 after the Iran-aligned Houthi militia pushed toward Aden.
Last month, Daesh claimed responsibility for an attack targeting the headquarters of a counter-terrorism unit in Aden that killed at least 14 people, including the attackers.
Meanwhile, Yemen’s army killed 17 Houthi militants and wounded several others in Al-Bayda province, Saudi state-news channel Al-Ekhbariya reported.
A military source said the resistance was also able to liberate sites in the Qifa and Al-Qoraisha directorates.

MORE FROM Middle-East