Prince Charles discusses religious tolerance with Egyptian PhD students in London

Students from Al-Azhar University met with Prince Charles in London. (Courtesy Al-Masry Al-Youm)
Updated 19 March 2018
0

Prince Charles discusses religious tolerance with Egyptian PhD students in London

LONDON: Prince Charles met with a group of Egyptian students from Cairo’s Al-Azhar University to discuss religious tolerance and efforts at combatting terrorism, said a spokesperson for the British Embassy in Cairo.

Six students from a scholarship program between the UK and Al-Azhar Univeristy met with Prince Charles at his residence in London.

The students, who are currently pursuing their PhDs at several British universities, are part of a Religious Studies Scholarship established in 2015 by the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar, Ahmed Al-Tayeb, and the British Ambassador to Egypt John Casson.

The grant seeks to promote dialogue between cultures and religions. Since 2016, six scholarships have been awarded and each grant is valued at more than £170,000 per candidate.

The reception was attended by both Ambassador Casson and the director of the British Council in Egypt, Jeff Streeter.

“We’re proud to partner with Al-Azhar to encourage dialogue and support young faith leaders like the six Egyptian students here today, in order to promote the values of peace, openness and tolerance,” said Ambassador Casson.

It is planned to raise a further £2m to provide for 15 more scholarships from now until 2025.

The meeting came after the recent death of an Egyptian engineering student in the UK, who was severely beaten and subsequently died, following an attack by a group of young women.


Libya seeks UN help as militia fighting kills 10

Updated 23 September 2018
0

Libya seeks UN help as militia fighting kills 10

  • Libya’s internationally recognized government has called on the UN to take “concrete and effective” action to protect civilians and halt the fighting.

BENGHAZI: The latest bout of fighting between rival militias in the capital Tripoli has left 10 people dead.

The medical authorities said 59 people were also wounded when fighting erupted the previous day, taking the death toll to 106 since armed conflict first began there late last month. Friday’s fighting further strained a cease-fire that has been in force since Sept. 4. They said a total of 18 people remain missing.

Libya’s internationally recognized government has called on the UN to take “concrete and effective” action to protect civilians and halt the fighting. The Government of National Accord (GNA) called on the UN mission to “present the Security Council with the reality of the bloody events in Libya so that it can ... protect the lives and property of civilians”.

Libya slid into chaos after the 2011 uprising that overthrew longtime dictator Muammar Qaddafi and led to his death. It’s governed by rival authorities, based in Tripoli and the country’s east, each backed by an array of militias.