Houthi missile targeting Saudi Arabia's Najran intercepted

An image grab taken from a video handed out by Yemen's Houthi milita on March 27, 2018 shows what appears to be Huthi military forces launching a ballistic missile on March 25 reportedly from the capital Sanaa. (AFP)
Updated 01 April 2018
0

Houthi missile targeting Saudi Arabia's Najran intercepted

JEDDAH: Royal Saudi Air Defense Forces on Saturday intercepted and destroyed a ballistic missile launched by the Houthis from Yemen, said the spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition supporting Yemen’s internationally recognized government.
“The missile was supposed to hit the region of Najran” and “target areas populated by civilians,” said Col. Turki Al-Maliki.
“The missile was intercepted and destroyed, causing the splatter of fragments over residential neighborhoods. According to preliminary information, one Indian expat suffered minor injuries,” he added.
“Such hostile and random acts carried out by the Houthi militia prove the continued involvement of the Iranian regime in the Yemeni war,” Al-Maliki said.
“Iran has been, and still is, supporting the armed militia by providing them with qualitative capabilities. This support comes as a clear and explicit defiance of UN Resolutions 2216 and 2231 in order to threaten the Kingdom and regional and global security,” he added.
“The launch of ballistic missiles at populated cities and villages is considered a violation of international humanitarian law.”
The interception follows a seven-missile attack by Houthi militia on the Kingdom on Sunday, March 25, which was widely condemned by the global community.
Three of the seven rockets fired targeted Riyadh, two were aimed at Jazan, and the others were launched toward Khamis Mushayt and Najran. Saudi air defenses intercepted all seven.
Missiles were targeted at residential areas and one Egyptian civilian worker was killed, while two were injured, said the news channel. It did not mention where the casualties were.
On Monday, March 26, the Arab coalition led by Saudi Arabia said in a news conference that the debris of missiles fired by Houthi rebels in Yemen carried the features of weapons manufactured near Tehran. The coalition lashed out at the Iranian regime for providing the Houthi militias with sophisticated arms and ballistic missiles, thus undermining regional security.
Al-Maliki displayed the debris of the Houthi missiles that targeted Riyadh. He said forensic analysis of the wreckage of the missiles showed they were supplied to the Houthi militias by Iran.
Al-Maliki noted that 78 percent of 104 ballistic missiles that have been launched targeting the Kingdom came from Saadah in Yemen and areas north of Amran.
The UN Security Council this week condemned “in the strongest possible terms” multiple missile attacks launched by the Houthis on Saudi territory, saying they posed a threat to regional security.
Last month, Houthi militias fired a ballistic missile at Riyadh, targeting Al-Yamamah Royal Palace in the Saudi capital.
In November 2017, militias launched a missile targeting King Khalid International Airport.
Houthi aggression toward Saudi Arabia has increased in recent months and has caused a global outcry, with a number of countries and organizations condemning the launch of ballistic missiles targeting the Kingdom.


Coalition acts against Houthi drone capabilities in Yemen’s capital

Updated 20 April 2019
0

Coalition acts against Houthi drone capabilities in Yemen’s capital

  • The attacks are a continuation of previous strikes aimed at reducing Houthi capabilities

JEDDAH: The Arab coalition has began an operation to diminish the drone capabilities of the Houthi militia at a presidential palace camp in Yemen’s capital Sanaa, Saudi Arabia’s AlEkhbariya TV announced early Saturday.

Earlier this month, a Houthi workshop manufacturing unmanned drones and a launchpad were destoryed in a coalition strike.

The attacks are a continuation of previous strikes aimed at reducing Houthi capabilities, and counter their efforts at launching attacks against the Kingdom.

On Apr. 3, five people were injured, including a woman and a child, when two Houthi drones targeting civilian areas in Saudi Arabia were intercepted and destroyed.

In early March, Saudi Arabia’s Royal Air Defense Force again shot down a Houthi drone that was flying toward the Kingdom.