Saudi forces intercept new Houthi attack

Updated 12 April 2018
0

Saudi forces intercept new Houthi attack

  • Coalition spokesman said air-defense units intercepted the missiles
  • Iranian-backed Houthi militia have launched several missiles at Saudi Arabia in recent months

JEDDAH: Saudi air defense forces intercepted a Houthi militant attack on Wednesday with ballistic missiles and drones targeting the capital, Riyadh, the cities of Jazan and Najran, and Abha airport.

The missiles were aimed at Riyadh and the two southern cities. One armed drone targeted Abha airport and a second drone was heading toward a civilian neighborhood in Jazan.

There was a loud explosion and smoke in the sky over Riyadh as Saudi air defenses successfully intercepted and destroyed the missile.

There were no reports of casualties or damage to property. Iranian-backed Houthi militants have launched dozens of missiles in the past year, aimed at Riyadh and southern Saudi cities. 

All have been successfully intercepted and shot down by Saudi air defense forces. However, last month a missile fragment killed an Egyptian expatriate in Riyadh, the first fatality caused by the missile attacks.

The Saudi-led coalition fighting to restore the legitimate government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi in Yemen has produced evidence that the missiles targeting Saudi Arabia are made in Iran, and the attacks have drawn global condemnation, most recently by the French President Emmanuel Macron this week during Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s visit to Paris.

A coalition spokesman said on Wednesday that the drones used in the most recent attacks were of a type and specification used by the Iranians.

The Saudi-led coalition warned Houthi militants and those who support them that terrorist attacks targeting civilian areas of the Kingdom would not be tolerated, and the coalition would respond in a decisive way.

Those who equipped the Houthis with drone capabilities would also pay a heavy price, the spokesman said.


Comoros minister praises Muslim World League's development work

Muslim World League Secretary-General Mohammed bin Abdul Karim Al-Issa distributes aid packets among poor families in Comoros. (SPA)
Updated 27 April 2018
0

Comoros minister praises Muslim World League's development work

  • The league’s contribution to the medical field totaled SR6,948,032
  • The league established six educational institutes more than 30 years ago

Comoros’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Hamid Karhila, has commended the development efforts carried out by the Muslim World League (MWL) in his country. 

He also expressed his government’s gratitude to the MWL for its initiative launched by Secretary-General Muhammad bin Abdul Karim Al-Issa.

Karhila said during a visit to the headquarters of the International Association for Relief, Care and Development (IARCD): “The new Comorian government aims to keep this cooperation with the MWL. This would help achieve more developmental and humanitarian projects that serve the Comorian people.”

Secretary-General of the IARCD Abdul Aziz Sarhan said: “The Muslim World League will continue to provide assistance and stand with the needy in all countries around the world.”

Sarhan said that the association carried out various humanitarian, medical and relief projects in the Comoros at a cost of SR10,916,645. These projects benefited 1,104,969 people between 2006 and 2017.

The league’s contribution to the medical field totaled SR6,948,032, which benefited 971,333 people. 

The league established six educational institutes more than 30 years ago. These institutes graduated thousands of students who occupy some of the highest positions in the Republic of the Comoros.

The MWL is also building a mosque at a cost of SR200,000 and working on the construction of an artesian well that cost SR130,000, as well as two surface wells at a cost of SR20,000.