Terrorism financier attends son’s wedding in Qatar

Abdulrahman Al-Nuaimi, center, was among ten named in Qatar’s terror list released in March. (Supplied)
Updated 14 April 2018
0

Terrorism financier attends son’s wedding in Qatar

  • Al-Nuaimi was labeled a terrorist by the US government in December 2013, and the UN in September 2014.
  • Qatari newspaper Al Raya extended congratulations to Al-Nuaimi on the marriage of his son.

London: Qatari press and media outlets have published photographs of Abdulrahman Al-Nuaimi at his son’s wedding in Doha, Al Arabiya English reported.

Al-Nuaimi was labeled a terrorist by the US government in December 2013, and the UN in September 2014, for providing financial support to terrorist organizations.

The US Department of the Treasury said Al-Nuaimi, 64, provided millions of dollars to Al-Qaeda in Iraq.

Al-Nuaimi formerly headed the Football Association of Qatar and was the founder and a board member of the Qatar-based Eid Charity that was listed as a terrorist entity by Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain.

Al-Nuaimi was also among ten named on Qatar’s terror list released in March, this year.

Qatari newspaper Al Raya extended congratulations to Al-Nuaimi on the marriage of his son. “Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Nuaimi celebrates his son’s wedding this evening. Congratulations!” was the message published in conjunction with photos of the wedding.

Several social media accounts belonging to Al-Nuaimi’s sons, displayed photographs of the wedding featuring a number of prominent Qatari personalities. Among the guests at the wedding was Abdullah Al-Sulaiti, who identifies himself as an “adviser in the oil industry, a writer with the Qatari newspaper Al Raya, and former editor-in-chief of Qatari newspaper Al Sharq.”

The British government has recently listed Al-Nuaimi, the current head of the Geneva-based Al-Karama Center for Human Rights, on their sanctions list for suspected funding of militant groups. Britain’s decision came 10 months after Qatari Al-Nuaimi was placed on a US embargo list, a British government spokesman said.

The US Treasury Department said in December 2014 that Al-Nuaimi “is one of the most important supporters of hard-line Sunni Iraqis in Qatar and is believed to have transferred more than $2 million a month to Al-Qaeda in Iraq over a period of time.”


Cyclone Mekenu pummels UNESCO-protected Socotra island, several feared dead, others missing

Updated 24 May 2018
0

Cyclone Mekenu pummels UNESCO-protected Socotra island, several feared dead, others missing

  • Cyclone Mekunu hit the Yemeni island of Socotra Wednesday night, causing severe flooding and damage to houses
  • 150 families had been evacuated and moved to government facilities after downpours caused houses and streets to flood, trapping people in their homes

SOCOTRA: Hundreds evacuated from their homes after Cyclone Mekunu hit the Yemeni island of Socotra Wednesday night, causing severe flooding and damage to houses, officials said.
Several are feared dead and others reported missing. Four crew members on board a boat that sunk when the storm hit the island in the Arabian Sea were missing, a fisheries ministry official told AFP.
Another official said that 150 families had been evacuated and moved to government facilities after downpours caused houses and streets to flood, trapping people in their homes.
Some residents carrying children tried to escape through the flooded streets, an AFP correspondent said.


In neighboring Oman, authorities announced through the official news agency they were taking “necessary precautions” in case the cyclone hits the Gulf sultanate.

Millions of Yemenis are living in dire conditions as a result of a long-running civil conflict, which since 2015 has pitted a Saudi-led coalition against the Iran-backed Houthi militias.
But Socotra has been spared involvement in the violence, which has claimed nearly 10,000 lives since March 2015 and triggered what the United Nations has called the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.