Libyan foreign minister: Summit is catalyst for unified Arab action

Libyan Foreign Minister Mohammed Taha Siala. AFP
Updated 15 April 2018
0

Libyan foreign minister: Summit is catalyst for unified Arab action

  • Arab leaders to take “stern and decisive action” to resolve the deadly conflict once and for all
  • All key regional issues are on the agenda, with Syria, Yemen and Pal- estine at the top

JEDDAH: Mohammed Taha Siala, foreign minister of the Libyan reconciliation government, expressed his confidence that the 29th Summit of the League of Arab States, hosted by Saudi Arabia, will be the catalyst to remove the stagnation in all fields of unified Arab action.
He said in a press statement: “The summit is convening at a moment of unprecedented crises within the Arab nations ... which caused despair and frustration among Arab nationals, urging us all to work efficiently.”
He added that Libya relies on the summit to strengthen Arab solidarity and enhance collaboration in various economic, cultural and social fields, and create some kind of agreement on issuing a unified Arab vision. It will be the cornerstone for drafting an integrated strategy on Arab security, defending the borders of Arab states from the dangers of terror, extremism and trans-border gangs, the minister said.
He said that the decision of the Arab League related to the crisis in Libya played a major role in identifying the various tracks for solutions that would lead to reaching the right political settlement.
As for the fight against terror, the minister referred to the section related to “preserving the national security and fighting terror,” which had been present in the agenda of the Arab League’s Council since 2016.
He called on the member states to exert more efforts, and cooperate more, in order to fight terrorism and put an end to its consequences, and ultimately develop a holistic strategy for fighting terror.


Saudi crown prince talks to Asharq Al Awsat

Updated 2 min 3 sec ago
0

Saudi crown prince talks to Asharq Al Awsat

JEDDAH:  Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman on Saturday said Saudi Arabia does not seek war but will also not shy away from confronting any threats.

The Crown prince’s comments came in an interview with Arab News’s sister publication Asharq Al Awsat.

 

 

(Developing story)