Nadine Labaki’s ‘Capernaum’ to debut at Cannes in May

Nadine Labaki. (AFP)
Updated 09 May 2018
0

Nadine Labaki’s ‘Capernaum’ to debut at Cannes in May

  • "Capernaum” will be the second of Labaki's three feature films to premiere at Cannes
  • KSA soon to announce its official selection of contributing films for Cannes 2018

DUBAI: Acclaimed Lebanese filmmaker and actress Nadine Labaki will premiere her latest film, “Capernaum,” at the 71st Cannes Film Festival next month, according to the festival organizers, who announced details of this year’s lineup on Thursday.
Labaki’s socially conscious, humorous-but-dramatic work has made her one of Lebanon’s — and the Arab world’s — most prominent filmmakers. “Capernaum” will be the second of her three feature films to premiere at Cannes after 2011’s “Where Do We Go Now?”
Few details of “Capernaum” have so far been released, but the film reportedly focuses on a rebellious teen who decides to sue his parents for having him. Like Labaki’s previous features, “Capernaum” apparently uses mainly non-professional actors.
The Middle East will have a strong presence at Cannes this year, with Egyptian-Austrian filmmaker Abu Bakr Shawky’s “Yomeddine” also on the program.
Both films will compete in the festival’s official competition, while its “Un Certain Regard” section will include two more Arab features — “Sofia,” Moroccan filmmaker Meryem Benm’barek’s debut movie, and Syrian director Gaya Jiji’s “My Favorite Fabric” — also a debut film.
Later this week, Saudi Arabia will announce its official selection of contributing films for Cannes 2018.
Following the Kingdom’s decision to allow cinemas in the country, the Saudi Film Council announced that Saudi Arabia will have its own pavilion at the festival this year.
Cannes chief Thierry Frémaux told “Deadline,” “(This) is a great way of opening up global opportunities for (Saudi’s) creative talent. The many young filmmakers among the Saudi delegation will have access to the world’s most prestigious film festival, including meaningful interactions with leading, international film industry professionals.”


Meghan Markle’s father appeals to British queen over rift with daughter

Updated 17 December 2018
0

Meghan Markle’s father appeals to British queen over rift with daughter

  • Meghan’s father said he had not had contact with his daughter for months and repeated text messages to Meghan had gone unanswered
  • Kensington Palace did not immediately comment on the interview

LONDON: Meghan Markle’s father directly appealed to Britain’s Queen Elizabeth on Monday to intercede and end his estrangement from his daughter, the wife of Prince Harry.
Former US actress Meghan, now the Duchess of Sussex, married Harry, the queen’s grandson and sixth-in-line to the throne, in a glittering ceremony at Windsor Castle in May.
But the immediate build-up to the wedding was overshadowed by her father, Thomas, a former lighting director for US TV soaps and sitcoms, who pulled out days beforehand after undergoing heart surgery.
Meghan’s father said he had not had contact with his daughter for months and repeated text messages to Meghan had gone unanswered.
When asked what message he had for Queen Elizabeth, 92, Thomas Markle said: “I would appreciate anything she can do and I would think that she would want to resolve the family problems.”
“All families, royal or otherwise, are the same and they should all be together certainly around the holidays,” Markle added.
Markle said that Meghan, 37, had not sent him a Christmas card but that he was hopeful that they could at some time build their relationship.
“Please reach out to me,” he said of Meghan. “I love my daughter very much and she has to know that... Just send me a text.”
“All I can say is that I’m here she knows it and I’ve reached out to her and I need her to reach back to me. I love her very much,” Markle said. “This can’t continue forever.”
Harry, 34, and Meghan are expecting their first child in the spring of 2019.
“I am certainly hoping that everything goes well and that they produce a beautiful baby and I’ll get to see a little Meghan or a little Harry — that would be very nice and I look forward to that happening,” Markle said.
“I think she’ll make a great Mom.”
Markle dismissed reports that Meghan could at times be rude. She was, he said, very polite as she had been raised on Hollywood stages.
When asked if she was a social climber, her father said: “She’s always been a very controlling person and that’s part of her nature but she has never been rude.”
Kensington Palace did not immediately comment on the interview.