After Philippines work ban, Kuwait turns to Ethiopia for help

Kuwait announced it is seeking to recruit domestic workers from Ethiopia to cover for the workforce shortfall following the ban the Philippines placed on its citizens on working in the country. (Reuters)
Updated 16 April 2018
0

After Philippines work ban, Kuwait turns to Ethiopia for help

Kuwait announced it is seeking to recruit domestic workers from Ethiopia to cover for the workforce shortfall following the ban the Philippines placed on its citizens on working in the country, Kuwait Times reported.

The ban followed the murder of a Joanna Demafelis, 29, whose body was discovered in a freezer earlier this year, bearing signs of torture.

Her employers, a Lebanese man and Syrian woman, were sentenced to death last week.

Meanwhile, the Ethiopian ambassador to Kuwait told the newspaper that his government was committed to resending domestic workers to Kuwait, but only once a labor agreement was signed.

Ethiopia wants to ensure that the workers’ rights will be protected while working in Kuwait, Ambassador Abdulaziz Ahmed Adem said.

“Last week we sent the draft copy of the new agreement to the ministry of foreign affairs to be signed by both countries. Once approved, the deployment of workers will resume soon,” he added.

The deal states that the salary of workers should not be less than $400 per month, Ethiopian domestic workers must work no more than 10 hours daily, passports of the workers should be handed to the embassy or preferably retained by the employees and salaries must be deposited in the bank at the end of the month.

Last year, a woman filmed her Ethiopian maid falling from the seventh floor without attempting to save her. Kuwaiti police detained her after the video went viral across the Middle East.


Berlin backs Macron’s Iran plan

In our view this agreement should be maintained, Merkel said. (AFP)
Updated 37 min 7 sec ago
0

Berlin backs Macron’s Iran plan

  • Merkel will discuss Iran with Trump on a visit on Friday
  • Macron acknowledged that he does not know what Trump will decide

BERLIN, PARIS: Proposals presented by French President Emmanuel Macron on Iran’s nuclear deal are based on the existing international agreement but would add some new elements, a senior German official said on Thursday.

Speaking before Chancellor Angela Merkel heads to Washington for talks with US President Donald Trump, the official said: “The premise of Macron’s proposal is that the agreement remains in its existing form and additional elements come on top.” The official added: “In our view this agreement should be maintained.”

Trump has said he is not happy with the 2015 accord and may pull out of it. 

Iran’s President Hasan Rouhani insisted the deal cannot be changed or built on. 

The plan announced during Macron’s trip is part of European efforts to persuade Trump not to abandon the accord next month.

Merkel will discuss Iran with Trump on a visit on Friday.

The French president has meanwhile defended discussions with Trump for a new plan to curb Iranian nuclear weapons. Speaking to reporters before leaving Washington on Wednesday night, Macron said the new four-pronged agreement would be a “very important complement” to the existing 2015 accord.

Macron insisted on the importance of talking to all sides, including Iran ally Russia, and said the world should not force anything on Iran. He acknowledged that he does not know what Trump will decide.