Donors pledge $4.4 billion in Syria aid for 2018: UN

EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini (C), UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura (R) and UN Under-Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock address a press conference on “Supporting the future of Syria and the region” at the European Council in Brussels. (AFP)
Updated 25 April 2018
0

Donors pledge $4.4 billion in Syria aid for 2018: UN

  • UN says donors pledge $4.4bn dollars in aid for Syria and its neighbors in 2018
  • The pledges fall well short of the estimated $7bn dollars the UN is seeking

BRUSSELS: International donors will pledge $4.4 billion (3.6 billion euros) in aid of the Syrian conflict at a Brussels conference Wednesday, a senior UN official said, well short of the amount hoped for.
“My best guess is that by the end of the day we will have heard pledges for 2018 of $4.4 billion,” Mark Lowcock, the head of UN aid agency UNOCHA, told a news conference.
“I want particularly to thank the EU, Germany and the United Kingdom who have made exceptionally large pledges today,” Lowcock said.
Pledges of a further $3.3 billion for 2019 and after were expected at the conference, which groups more than 80 countries, aid groups and agencies, he added.
The money is needed for humanitarian work inside Syria and to support refugees in neighboring countries, the UN says.
The UN official had earlier said he hoped to see $8 billion pledged on Wednesday, warning that some programs may need to be cut if funds are not forthcoming.
“We are quite desperately short of resources,” Lowcock said on Tuesday, adding that UNOCHA managed to raise only half of the funds it needed in 2017.
London and Berlin led the pledges on Wednesday, with Britain announcing 450 million pounds ($630 million, 515 million euros) for 2018 and another 300 million pounds for 2019, while Germany said it would donate more than a billion euros.
Some 6.1 million people are now internally displaced in Syria, more than five million have fled the country and 13 million including six million children are in need of aid, according to the UN.
More than 700,000 people have been displaced since the start of this year alone as Assad has stepped up his offensive against rebel forces, intensifying the humanitarian crisis.


Netanyahu defends Gaza ceasefire after Israeli criticism

Updated 28 min 3 sec ago
0

Netanyahu defends Gaza ceasefire after Israeli criticism

  • ‘Our enemies begged for a ceasefire and they knew very well why’
  • The deal has provoked criticism from within Netanyahu’s government

JERUSALEM: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday defended his decision to accept a ceasefire after the worst escalation with Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip since a 2014 war.
“In times of emergency, when making decisions crucial to security, the public can’t always be privy to the considerations that must be hidden from the enemy,” he said at a ceremony in honor of Israel’s founding father David Ben-Gurion.
“Our enemies begged for a ceasefire and they knew very well why.”
The deal has provoked criticism from within Netanyahu’s government as well as from Israelis who live near the Gaza Strip and want further action against its Islamist rulers Hamas.