Saudi air defense units intercept two ballistic missiles fired by Houthi militia on Najran

Saudi Arabia’s air defense units intercepted two ballistic missiles fired by Houthi militias from inside Yemeni territory. (REUTERS)
Updated 07 May 2018
0

Saudi air defense units intercept two ballistic missiles fired by Houthi militia on Najran

  • The southern city of Najran - close to the border with Yemen, has come under fire before
  • Iranian-backed Houthi militia have launched several missiles at Saudi Arabia in recent months

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s air defense units intercepted two ballistic missiles fired by Houthi militias from inside Yemeni territory that were targeted toward the city of Najran.
Colonel Turki al-Maliki, spokesman of the Saudi-led coalition forces helping Yemen's legitimate government, said that air defense forces detected the missiles being launched at 8:47 p.m. Sunday from the governorate of Amran by Houthi militia.
Al-Maliki said the Houthis deliberately targeted civilian and populated areas, but the Saudi Royal Air Defense forces were able to intercept two two missiles.
Fragments of the missiles fell on residential neighborhoods but no injuries or damage were reported so far, he said.
Al-Maliki said that "this hostile action by the Houthi militia proves the continued involvement of the Iranian regime" in supplying weapons to the Houthis.


Houthis agree to stop firing missiles at Saudi Arabia

Updated 19 November 2018
0

Houthis agree to stop firing missiles at Saudi Arabia

  • The Iran-backed rebels ordered the cessation of rocket and drone attacks
  • It cessation was done at the request of UN special envoy Martin Griffiths

SANAA, Yemen: A senior leader of the Houthi militia says the group will halt rocket fire into Saudi Arabia for the sake of peace efforts.
The Houthi leader, Mohammed Ali Al-Houthi, says the Iran-backed rebels ordered the cessation of rocket and drone attacks on the Saudis and forces loyal to coalition member the United Arab Emirates at the request of UN special envoy Martin Griffiths.
The statement was carried by militia-controlled media early on Monday.
Griffiths announced on Friday that both sides had agreed to attend talks in Sweden “soon” aimed at ending the three-year war. The announcement followed an informal de-escalation last week around the key port city of Hodeidah.