Iran backed Houthi militia target Riyadh’s inhabited areas with 2 missiles: coalition

Updated 09 May 2018

Iran backed Houthi militia target Riyadh’s inhabited areas with 2 missiles: coalition

RIYADH: Two ballistic missiles were fired at the Saudi capital Riyadh on Wednesday, according to the coalition battling rebels in neighboring Yemen who claimed the attempted attack.
Saudi Arabia’s air defenses “intercepted” one of the missiles, while another crashed into a desert area south of Riyadh, coalition spokesman Turki Al-Maliki said.
The missiles were “unquestionably” fired at the city “with the intention of hitting inhabited areas,” he added.
Maliki blamed the attack on “militiamen and terrorists, vassals of Iran” who try to “threaten the security of Saudi Arabia, the region and the world.”
Earlier on Wednesday Al-Ekhbariya state television said the country’s air defenses had intercepted the two missiles over Riyadh.
Two explosions were heard in the city, according to an AFP photographer.
Yemen’s Houthi rebels quickly claimed responsibility for attacking “Riyadh Dry Port and other economic targets” in the Saudi capital with Burkan 2H ballistic missiles.
State-run Saudi Press Agency said the country’s air defenses hours earlier had also intercepted a ballistic missile targeting the southern city of Jizan.
The rebels also claimed the Jizan attack, via their Al-Masirah TV.
Maliki accused the Houthis of firing the missile from the northern Yemeni province of Saada and of “deliberately targeting populated civilian zones.”
He said such “hostile action” proves the involvement of Iran in the Yemen conflict, repeating Riyadh’s long-standing claim that regional rival Tehran is supplying the Houthis with ballistic missiles.
Saudi Arabia launched a military coalition in Yemen in 2015, aimed at rolling back the Houthis and restoring the internationally recognized government to power.
The Houthis have in recent months intensified missile attacks against Saudi Arabia.
The latest salvo came a day after US President Donald Trump exited the Iran nuclear agreement, which he criticized for excluding measures to curb Tehran’s ballistic missile program.


First pilgrims leave under Eyab initiative

Updated 18 August 2019

First pilgrims leave under Eyab initiative

  • Al-Amoudi toured the exhibition dedicated to welcome Eyab’s beneficiaries

Saudi Minister of Transport and Chairman of the General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA), Dr. Nabeel Al-Amoudi, oversaw the departure of the first 

group of pilgrims under the Eyab initiative on Saturday together with GACA President Abdulhadi bin Ahmed Al-Mansouri.

Eyab seeks to improve services provided to pilgrims, with the authority aiming to enrich pilgrims’ experience at the Kingdom’s airports. It is expected to benefit 30,000 pilgrims during this year’s Hajj season.

Al-Amoudi toured the exhibition dedicated to welcome Eyab’s beneficiaries, inspected the services available and received a briefing from the initiative’s officials.

GACA started an experimental implementation of Eyab this year, aimed at pilgrims returning to Indonesia, India and Malaysia through Jeddah’s King Abdul Aziz International Airport and Madinah’s Prince Mohammed bin Abdul Aziz Airport.